Applying to postbac programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laura8924

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my senior year at McGill University (I'm American), majoring in Political Science and double-minoring in Chinese Language and English Lit. My gpa is hovering just below a 3.3 right now. I am planning to submit my ACT scores to postbacs because I did well on the science section (31, 29 overall). I am wondering what my chances are at getting into NYU, Columbia, CCNY, Hunter and Harvard Extension for a postbac in premed. I know it is important to have volunteered at a hospital or with a physician to get into med school, but how important is this for getting into a postbac program? I have no experience right now and I am planning to apply to volunteer at a hospital in NYC this summer, but I will be applying to postbacs before that.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be fine at all the programs you mentioned, they are not very selective and your GPA is above 3.0 so you're safe. Volunteering's not really necessary for postbacc acceptance, but it can help you write a better personal statement and it will look good to have been doing it for so long when it comes time to apply to med schools. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks! So is 3.3 pretty much the gpa cutoff? What happens if I end up with closer to a 3.2?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! So is 3.3 pretty much the gpa cutoff? What happens if I end up with closer to a 3.2?

Oops, total typo, I meant to say you are above 3.0 (that's usually where the postbac programs you mentioned cut-off). For your future benefit, do what you can to keep your GPA at 3.3 or higher though. :thumbup:

Ok, great thank you!
I also have a couple of W's on my transcript... how damaging are these? I had some personal stuff going on throughout college.

A few W's won't be the kiss of death especially since you seem to have reasons for them. Just be prepared to do some explaining if asked. They may never come up. I'm actually speaking more for the actual med school application process, I highly doubt they'll be an issue in post-bacc.