Applying to religious schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustang sally

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am thinking of applying to Creighton and one of the questions on their supplemental personal statement asks something along the lines of what does a Jesuit education mean to you? I am not particularly religious and have not practiced my own (non-Jesuit) religion in years. Just wondering how other people have dealt with questions of religion.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, honesty is the best policy. I would get some information on Jesuit religion (? I am not familiar with it either) and then actually determine what it means to you and answer it honestly.

So I am thinking of applying to Creighton and one of the questions on their supplemental personal statement asks something along the lines of what does a Jesuit education mean to you? I am not particularly religious and have not practiced my own (non-Jesuit) religion in years. Just wondering how other people have dealt with questions of religion.

I just finished my second day at Creighton.:)

For that essay question, just apply the principles embodied in those Jesuit values to your personal beliefs and goals. If you did enough research, then you'll find that these values do not have to revolve around God or a god. Creighton is a community and service-oriented school and these Jesuit values are reflective of that.

During the orientation week I attended last week as well as the first two days of class, instructors and administrators made it a clear point that Creighton wasn't a hardcore religious school. In fact, there are few true Jesuits on campus as instructors and such. The Creighton reps simply want to see that you aren't seeking pharmacy solely out of intellectual curiosity and talent. They want to see that you have some drive to serve others and this question tests your ability to convey that through a different term. Anybody can put down "I want/like to help people" but don't know jack about it.;)