Applying to school without GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spinfire06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in this dilemma where I took the GRE's this semester and did not get the score I was aiming for and I haven't had time to study, due to school/work/volunteering obligations, to take it again. Do you think I should submit my application to schools without putting in my scores in? Also, should I wait to finish this semester to have better grades on my transcript than if I would send it in now when deadlines to many schools are approaching? Thanks in advance for the advice:).

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, the GRE is mandatory, so they need it when you apply. You could call the admissions office and maybe talk to them about it, or set up a date to talk to an guidance counselor at the college.

If your grades aren't competitive, then yes, get it up as high as possible before applying. Applying with no GRE scores, and an uncompetitive GPA would be a waste of time, they would probably throw your app. away, because there is alot of more competitive students.

In other words, maybe retake some classes, study hard, get your GPA up, and retake the GRE so you can achieve the score you want; then apply.

The GRE is not mandatory for some programs. So even if you did bad, they won't ask for it anyway. So if your using PTCAS I would submit my application regardless.

OP- Markelmarcel had the same issue on this board. She didn't send her scores in until later and still got an interview invite to Chatam I believe.Maybe she'll see this thread and explain more.

Yeah I'm looking at PTCAS now and it seems that I might just be able tell them, I plan on taking them in a certain month, if I do not have scores yet.