Applying to schools in TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

long8horn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first time applying to pharmacy schools. I just took my pcat this July and got a 71 composite (before the essay was graded). Just graduated with a degree in biology. I had a 2.7 gpa. I took all my prerequisites at a community college and had a 3.3 gpa. I've been working at a local pharmacy for over 4 years now. I have never applied and I don't even know how to begin or what my chances are. Any imput or advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

This is my first time applying to pharmacy schools. I just took my pcat this July and got a 71 composite (before the essay was graded). Just graduated with a degree in biology. I had a 2.7 gpa. I took all my prerequisites at a community college and had a 3.3 gpa. I've been working at a local pharmacy for over 4 years now. I have never applied and I don't even know how to begin or what my chances are. Any imput or advice is appreciated!

Question time!

I think that the PCAT is OK (nothing spectacular by any stretch ... What were your subsection scores?), but I'd be worried about your overall GPA being below 3.0.

Did you take the pre-reqs before or after you finished your degree?

You have experience, which is a major bonus. However, your rather lackluster GPA combined with your merely average PCAT (average for accepted students) will put you in an less than stellar position. Are you going to take the PCAT again?

Hello there, I'm a native Texan and this is what I've gathered about texas pharmacy schools.
Basically, a 70ish PCAT score is all you need really, you don't really have to take it again unless you want to. Pharmacy schools look at PCATs last, from what I've heard. What they really look at is your interview. A LOT of people told me that the interview can really decide your acceptance (no pressure btw), so it's really important (again no pressure).
I have a 3.3 gpa in my pre-reqs too :laugh:. However, I've been told to try and get at least a 3.5 gpa (I'm still going to apply anyways). Some pharmacy schools only look at your pre-req gpa, so don't worry about it because they won't look at it, unless the schools your applying to care about the overall gpa.
Your pharmacy experience is stellar! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My subsection scores were:
verbal 68
bio 71
chem 81
reading comp 32 (sooo bad)
quant 85

This was my 3rd time taking the pcat. The other 2 times I took the test I didn't have enough time to study and I didnt take the test as serious as I did this time. I took my pre-reqs at community college before I took my upper level bio classes. So my gpa went down after I started going to a university. I don't think it will look good to take the pcat again... what do you think?

My subsection scores were:
verbal 68
bio 71
chem 81
reading comp 32 (sooo bad)
quant 85

This was my 3rd time taking the pcat. The other 2 times I took the test I didn't have enough time to study and I didnt take the test as serious as I did this time. I took my pre-reqs at community college before I took my upper level bio classes. So my gpa went down after I started going to a university. I don't think it will look good to take the pcat again... what do you think?

Your PCAT score is OK. However, given that it's your 3rd time taking the test, I wouldn't retake it.

I'm more concerned about the fact that your GPA went down when you started attending a university. That shows me that you are having problems handling the material. The material at pharmacy school will be at that level, so you need to take some upper level courses, perform well to show that you can handle the content.

Definitely apply this year, but you know what your weaknesses are with your application. If you get rejected, you'll have something to work on for the next cycle.

The PCAT is not the golden key that gets you into pharmacy school. You have to be a well-rounded applicant in all respects. This includes, Letter's of rec, writing abilities, interview, GPA, PCAT, community service, research, and the list goes on...

Getting a certain GPA or PCAT or just one specific thing is not the key to getting in. People with 4.0's get rejected because they have nothing else to show. People with 90 PCAT get rejected because they have nothing else to show.