Applying to UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK.
Everything is in.
PhamCAS, PCAT, Supplemental.
Now the long wait... :scared:
Any advise?

Members don't see this ad.

usi said:
OK.
Everything is in.
PhamCAS, PCAT, Supplemental.
Now the long wait... :scared:
Any advise?

Hopefully you're substantially more patient than I am.

Unless this year is different than last, don't expect to hear anything until late February at the earliest.

Members don't see this ad :)
b*rizzle said:
Hopefully you're substantially more patient than I am.

No I am ready to start the next chapter in my life.
Meantime I should memorize some new drug names...
like I was watching some cop show last night, and in the show, the shrink had prescribed haloperidol.
So I looked it up today.

Can you tell how bored I am? from the random sidetrack?

jemc2000 said:
Unless this year is different than last, don't expect to hear anything until late February at the earliest.

Thank you...
How are you liking the program?
How many days are you on-campus,
Are you in the St Pete site?

usi said:
Thank you...
How are you liking the program?
How many days are you on-campus,
Are you in the St Pete site?

I didn't get in.

jemc2000 said:
I didn't get in.
I am sorry.

Are you re-applying? What did they say? :(

usi said:
No I am ready to start the next chapter in my life.
Meantime I should memorize some new drug names...
like I was watching some cop show last night, and in the show, the shrink had prescribed haloperidol.
So I looked it up today.

Can you tell how bored I am? from the random sidetrack?

I watched that episode, too.

You don't have to worry about drug names at UF until your second year. They stress pathophysiology the entire first year. You need to know the body and its diseases before you can treat it with drug therapy. To get ahead, pick up a copy of Pathophysiology by Porth.

usi said:
I am sorry.

Are you re-applying? What did they say? :(

Yes I am reapplying. My pre-req gpa was too low (It was only 2.86 last year). I have retaken some classes and brought it up to about a 3.25, so hopefully they at least look at me this year.

jemc2000 said:
Yes I am reapplying. My pre-req gpa was too low (It was only 2.86 last year). I have retaken some classes and brought it up to about a 3.25, so hopefully they at least look at me this year.

You had a really good PCAT, so they should at least look at you this year. I really wish they would distinguish between people like you who took physics with calculus and not applied physics. It's not comparing apples to apples.

I'm nervous about applying to UF. My pre-req GPA's okay I think (3.6), and I did well on the PCAT, but I always have a problem with personal statements. The voice on the questions for my supplemental application for UF sounds like a completely different person than my "real" personal statement for PharmCAS.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Maybe I could get an acceptance at the end of February - would be a nice birthday present.

dgroulx said:
I watched that episode, too.

You don't have to worry about drug names at UF until your second year. They stress pathophysiology the entire first year. You need to know the body and its diseases before you can treat it with drug therapy. To get ahead, pick up a copy of Pathophysiology by Porth.

Thank you. You don't think I'll jinx myself by starting to study?
Just kidding :laugh:

tennismn said:
I'm nervous about applying to UF. My pre-req GPA's okay I think (3.6), and I did well on the PCAT, but I always have a problem with personal statements. The voice on the questions for my supplemental application for UF sounds like a completely different person than my "real" personal statement for PharmCAS.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Maybe I could get an acceptance at the end of February - would be a nice birthday present.

Good Luck!
I think your GPA is good!

Members don't see this ad :)
usi said:
Good Luck!
I think your GPA is good!

Thanks. Good luck to you too. Now we wait. :)

dgroulx said:
You had a really good PCAT, so they should at least look at you this year. I really wish they would distinguish between people like you who took physics with calculus and not applied physics. It's not comparing apples to apples.

Unfortunately UF won't take my November of 2004 PCAT. So I am taking it again in January.

I heard from UF in Jan. of '05, but there were some people who didn't find out until the week before classes started. Some people had actually started classes at a different pharm school before they got their UF letter!

jemc2000 said:
Unfortunately UF won't take my November of 2004 PCAT. So I am taking it again in January.
UF will accept the January PCAT? I bombed the October test and got a 75. No way am I getting into UF with that. :(

ethyl said:
UF will accept the January PCAT? I bombed the October test and got a 75. No way am I getting into UF with that. :(
I personally know a student that got in with a mid 70s PCAT.

Betty'sBeast said:
I personally know a student that got in with a mid 70s PCAT.

WOW! I wonder what else he/she had to offer... ;)
Why should UF invite him/her to be part of the experience...(as they say in their personal essay)

jemc2000 said:

It kinda makes me angry that they are making you retake it.
On the bright side you will probably do very well.
I had been out of school for 9 years, so it was hard for me to review all that stuff...
Good luck!

I got my acceptance letter last week from UF !! Party,Party Party for me!!!

I was accepted into Jacksonville campus, but petitioned for Gainsville i kinda fill like a rat cos all my friends are still checking thier mail box for acceptance letter.

toscogo said:
I was accepted into Jacksonville campus, but petitioned for Gainsville i kinda fill like a rat cos all my friends are still checking thier mail box for acceptance letter.

Don't feel bad about Jax instead of Gainesville. There really isn't any difference between the campuses. Once the novelty of going to class wears off, the Gainesville students watch their lectures on-line, too. If you want to watch the live lecture, you can drive to Gainesville and do so. You're only required to take your interactive sessions and your exams at your home campus.

Congrats on your acceptance.

toscogo said:

Be sure to post your acceptance in the Roll Call thread. Congrats! And, it's difficult to actually get the higher ups to change their minds on which campus you can attend. One of the students on this board also tried to do that but was unsuccessful. Good luck, though.

toscogo said:
I got my acceptance letter last week from UF !! Party,Party Party for me!!!

Congratulations!
I thought they don't review applications until the Spring semester?
I guess I was wrong!

I know UF does not conduct interviews but I read that UF does call a few canidates for a interview due to various reasons. As anyone had to go through a interview? What was the process like? Also, How heavily does UF look a W's on transcript? If the W's were given for general ed classes and not for science does that matter? Would a canidate with a high GPA and PCAT score and alot of W's outweigh a canidate with much fewer W's, or none at all, with a lower GPA and PCAT score?

dgroulx said:
Don't feel bad about Jax instead of Gainesville. There really isn't any difference between the campuses. Once the novelty of going to class wears off, the Gainesville students watch their lectures on-line, too. If you want to watch the live lecture, you can drive to Gainesville and do so. You're only required to take your interactive sessions and your exams at your home campus.

Congrats on your acceptance.
Thanks for the reply,what Campus are you in?

toscogo said:
Thanks for the reply,what Campus are you in?

I'm at St Pete. I'll be there until there until February 23rd, then I'm off on rotations until February 2007. I'll return to campus for the last 8 weeks before graduation, but it might not be St Pete. They divide everyone up and put an equal number at each campus.