Applying to UNC Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalDeac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On their DDS Application Process Flow page, it says

Pring the following two forms:
-Waiver
-Honor Code Forms

It doesn't provide a link to these forms and I CANT FIND THEM ANYWHERE

Someone help?

Members don't see this ad.

TheWiredNerv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think they emailed mine to me. I can't remember though. It is no biggie, they have copies there.

Btw, UNC is a beautiful school!

DentalDeac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh, so maybe I have to finish the supplemental application before they will email me my forms?

Members don't see this ad :)

TheWiredNerv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh, so maybe I have to finish the supplemental application before they will email me my forms?
Take your time with that supplemental application. They really care about it.

DentalDeac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take your time with that supplemental application. They really care about it.

Ugh. Their supplemental sucks so much. They ask a lot of questions that I have already answered on AADSAS, such as "By August, will you have completed the necessary hours and courses to meet our entrance requirements? yes no Please list the courses and the credit hours you intend to take to meet our course requirements:"

Does this mean that if I have already met their requirements I can just put yes and I don't have to list the courses? Or should I list them anyways?

Also this

Give the reasons for your interest in dentistry and for selecting dentistry as a profession:

Isn't that why I wrote my personal statement for AADSAS? Why do they want me to state it again? Its hard to answer that question without plagarizing my own personal statement

PSU SHC 414

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On their DDS Application Process Flow page, it says

Pring the following two forms:
-Waiver
-Honor Code Forms

It doesn't provide a link to these forms and I CANT FIND THEM ANYWHERE

Someone help?

At the bottom of the "Online Supplemental Application" page (where it has two links - "Start Application" or "Update Application"), there are two additional links. One is titled "Accompanying Forms for Completing Application"... you should be able to figure it out from there.

PSU SHC 414

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Their supplemental sucks so much. They ask a lot of questions that I have already answered on AADSAS, such as "By August, will you have completed the necessary hours and courses to meet our entrance requirements? yes no Please list the courses and the credit hours you intend to take to meet our course requirements:"

Does this mean that if I have already met their requirements I can just put yes and I don't have to list the courses? Or should I list them anyways?

Also this

Give the reasons for your interest in dentistry and for selecting dentistry as a profession:

Isn't that why I wrote my personal statement for AADSAS? Why do they want me to state it again? Its hard to answer that question without plagarizing my own personal statement

Look at this as an opportunity to elaborate even more on your PS... if this is what you want to do for the rest of your life, having to write more than 4,500 characters about your career aspiration and dream shouldn't be so difficult.

DGDDS

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You should use the UNC supplemental to expand on what AADSAS didn't give you space to. Go into more detail about how ________ (e.g. shadowing a really special dentist, doing dental research, a dental mission trip, a community health clinic) really steered you into this profession. They take the supplemental pretty seriously, so don't just copy and paste your PS from AADSAS.

TheWiredNerv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My interviewers talked almost exclusively about my supplemental application at my two open file interviews there. Some are redundant questions but still spend time on them. Don't copy and paste from AADSAs either.

sarah_bellum

^ ban pls.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A agree with Nerv and DG regarding the supplemental - it's a big deal.

Regarding redundant questions, the one you noted about pre-reqs is relevant, as UNC requires Anatomy (not part of the usual spectrum of bio/chem/ochem/phys).

UNC gives you more space to make a better presentation of the total person you're hoping to bring to the table. What's insulting are secondaries like Nova and Creighton, where they literally ask for your name, address, and another check for $100.

PSU SHC 414

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A agree with Nerv and DG regarding the supplemental - it's a big deal.

Regarding redundant questions, the one you noted about pre-reqs is relevant, as UNC requires Anatomy (not part of the usual spectrum of bio/chem/ochem/phys).

UNC gives you more space to make a better presentation of the total person you're hoping to bring to the table. What's insulting are secondaries like Nova and Creighton, where they literally ask for your name, address, and another check for $100.

Do any of you current UNC dental students know how stringently UNC looks at the anatomy/physiology prereq? I think I might be in a sinking ship when it comes to hopes for acceptance to UNC since it explictly states on the "Admissions Requirements" website - One course must be (including laboratory) human anatomy or vertebrate zoology.

I took two human physiology courses (one introductory and one 400-level) even though the courses weren't part of the Biochem/Microbio curriculum, but neither course had an associated lab. It's pretty improbable for me to take an anatomy course w/ lab at this point since I graduated more than a year ago. Now if they offered me admission contigent on the fact that I would have to take an anatomy course w/lab at a community college or something... that'd be a different story (would they be willing to do that???)

Do you think UNC's adcom would be willing to overlook this pre-req since I've taken a ton of 400-level biochem & microbio courses (I realize that they are completely different subjects, but I hardly think that the subject material is significantly different in difficulty).

Should I contact the Dean directly about this question? I don't want to waste time on the UNC supplemental (and additional money) if I have no shot at a UNC acceptance due to this pre-req....

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

DGDDS

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I contact the Dean directly about this question?

Yes! Contact them - they'll give you the best and most straight forward answer instead of all of us guessing at it on predents.com. They're very nice, so don't be afraid to call or email for clarification. Plus, you might even convince them that human phys should count. :) It's worth a shot.

PSU SHC 414

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes! Contact them - they'll give you the best and most straight forward answer instead of all of us guessing at it on predents.com. They're very nice, so don't be afraid to call or email for clarification. Plus, you might even convince them that human phys should count. :) It's worth a shot.

Thanks DGDDS! :D