Applying to vet School while in vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ray88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has been in the situation where they are applying to another vet school while in vet school? I know it sounds like an odd question, but I'm wondering if anyone has been in this situation or knows of anyone who can share their story.

Thanks,
Ray.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean applying to start over at a new school? Or applying for a transfer? Transfers do happen, but they're uncommon, and I wouldn't count on being able to do it. Re-applying to start over... Well, I'd think you'd need to do a pretty damn good job explaining why you wanted to go to a different school. I'd think the new school would be suspicious.

I don't have personal experience with this, but I know a vet that applied to schools while in vet school. She applied to US schools and one UK school initially. She got into the UK school and was waitlisted at one US school (got off the waitlist, but decided she didn't want to go there). The summer before she started her first year at the UK school, she re-applied to some US schools. Even though she liked the UK school, she got into the US school, and started there after finishing one year in the UK. Since the UK does 5 year programs, their first two years are more or less equivalent to one year here, so she started with first year again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops. I'm not really familiar with many of the UK programs, so I didn't know that 5 years was uncommon.

No, you aren't wrong. 5 years is common. Most of the UK students apply out of high school and go for 5 years. That is normal. However, many of the UK programs (not all) also have a 4 year program for students who already have an undergrad degree. So they have both 5 years and 4 years, most people in 5 year are UK students, most in 4 year are US/Canada students. :)

I know of one person who talked about doing it but that's because he can't apply for a transfer.

Why not? Just curious.
Most schools require a letter from the Dean which basically just states that you're an okay student and to go ahead with the transfer. I'm under the impression that it's more a formality than anything else. Regardless, the Dean has to write it and he's not likely to in this student's case.