Applying while still doing prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoLCareerGoals

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you apply while you are still completing the prerequisites? I saw a couple of you who have already landed admits were still taking courses.
If practice tests indicate I am ready, I'd like to take MCAT after some self-study, before completing the coursework to save time. (I can't start coursework now because I am out of the country.)
Will I be allowed to apply in such a scenario and if so will I put myself at a massive disadvantage without any bio/chem grades to show?

In general by what point in the application process do you need all your "check boxes checked"?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you apply while you are still completing the prerequisites? I saw a couple of you who have already landed admits were still taking courses.
If practice tests indicate I am ready, I'd like to take MCAT after some self-study, before completing the coursework to save time. (I can't start coursework now because I am out of the country.)
Will I be allowed to apply in such a scenario and if so will I put myself at a massive disadvantage without any bio/chem grades to show?

In general by what point in the application process do you need all your "check boxes checked"?

I got accepted last fall and am currently taking both biochemistry and biology lab. When you apply you put in your planned classes. When I got accepted it was just contingent on me getting at least a C in the remaining requirements.

I was accepted in fall and had not finished Chem 2, Bio 2, or OChem lab. My acceptance was contingent on completing those courses with a "similar level of performance" (or something like that) to my previous work.

I did alright on my MCAT, but I will say that Chem 2 would have helped me out a lot. Just make sure you take a few full-length, timed practice tests and are very comfortable with the bottom end of the scores you get before you take the real thing.

I am applying without organic chemistry and taking the MCAT without having physics or o chem (been self studying for months and sill be taking physics I and II this summer and waiting till they are done to submit my applications ~ 2nd week in July) I was concerned about this but my advisor told me that it is fairly common but your acceptance is contingent on your successfully completing the classes before matriculation.