Applying with Kids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benlikeslizards

Reaction score
HI all,

So my daughter was born in February, we spent some time in the NICU and it's affected my medical motivations, but I'm not sure how having kids before medical school is percieved by ADCOMs. Is there something that I need to 'prove' to ADCOMs through essays and things to show that I can do the family and medicine gigs at the same time? I did get good grades this semester despite our week long NICU stay and our entire family getting COVID, so I've been thinking about subtly emphasizing that in my application. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

HI all,

So my daughter was born in February, we spent some time in the NICU and it's affected my medical motivations, but I'm not sure how having kids before medical school is percieved by ADCOMs. Is there something that I need to 'prove' to ADCOMs through essays and things to show that I can do the family and medicine gigs at the same time? I did get good grades this semester despite our week long NICU stay and our entire family getting COVID, so I've been thinking about subtly emphasizing that in my application. Thoughts?
You have to put your baby in escrow with the school until med school is over.

Seriously, no. There are plenty of parents in med school. If anything, parenting actually helps in med school (especially peds) because of maturity and responsibility.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
HI all,

My daughter was 9 months when I applied and I wrote about my family in my personal statement as part of my motivation to pursue medicine. ADCOMs want folks to demonstrate resilience and their ability to navigate both professional and personal challenges. I specifically received questions about how I manage stress during my interview and the interviewer liked my response about how my husband and I manage self-care.

A faculty member from Stanford told me ADCOMs want to see vulnerability and transparency. It will make you stand out. Don't be afraid to be yourself and if you can't be yourself during the process, it's likely not the right program for you!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
HI all,

You don't have to prove a damn thing.

It's actually up to you to handle med school. If you get an II, it's because the Adcom thinks that you are, on paper, someone who will make a good student. And your grades did your talking for you.

The Adcom also has no business asking about or knowing about your health or family life.

I've had single moms as students. If they could do it, so can you.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I've had single moms as students. If they could do it, so can you.

I have some serious respect for those single moms, that's incredible.

Definitely a relief to know that family isn't something that would count against me. Thank you all!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah my wife and I have a child and I applied this year and it wasn't a problem at all (2 A's). The school that I am going to attend has plenty of people with families as well so I'm not worried about it. During interviews I've been asked about it but its always been in a positive light.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to put your baby in escrow with the school until med school is over.

Seriously, no. There are plenty of parents in med school. If anything, parenting actually helps in med school (especially peds) because of maturity and responsibility.
Bahahaha 🤣

Agree - I mentioned in my PS my son being my MOTIVATION, not my obstacle. Also dealt with him in hospital early on and wrote about that inspiring me further (as well as other fam members' hospital events)...I was desperate to understand what was going on, but my ignorance about medicine made the process so nerve wrecking. I never wanted to feel that way again about any of my loved ones, I wanted to be in a position to help.

If you can keep your grades up through that, you can through anything. Don't dwell on your being a parent but definitely mention it. Good luck!

Bahahaha 🤣

Agree - I mentioned in my PS my son being my MOTIVATION, not my obstacle. Also dealt with him in hospital early on and wrote about that inspiring me further (as well as other fam members' hospital events)...I was desperate to understand what was going on, but my ignorance about medicine made the process so nerve wrecking. I never wanted to feel that way again about any of my loved ones, I wanted to be in a position to help.

If you can keep your grades up through that, you can through anything. Don't dwell on your being a parent but definitely mention it. Good luck!
This! I swear I only got in because I'm a Dad. Otherwise I would have been a boring candidate

I'm starting my 3rd year of medical school and I have 4 kids, from ages 2 to 14. It's hectic at times........really all the time but my wife is awesome and I spend as much time with her and my kids as humanly possible. I'd definitely mention your children. As a side note, a guy whose now an attending general surgeon from my school had 7 kids while in med school!!!

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I'm starting my 3rd year of medical school and I have 4 kids, from ages 2 to 14. It's hectic at times........really all the time but my wife is awesome and I spend as much time with her and my kids as humanly possible. I'd definitely mention your children. As a side note, a guy whose now an attending general surgeon from my school had 7 kids while in med school!!!
4 kids and in med school?!? God bless you!! 😂 Do you all have family close by to help? My only concern is my husband and I don't have folks nearby. We may need to consider getting a nanny. If we decide to have more, I'll definitely consider a residency program closer to relatives.

I leaned into the fact that I was a parent in both my essays and my interviews. I never thought it was held against me and I think in most times it was an asset.

4 kids and in med school?!? God bless you!! 😂 Do you all have family close by to help? My only concern is my husband and I don't have folks nearby. We may need to consider getting a nanny. If we decide to have more, I'll definitely consider a residency program closer to relatives.
We do have family near by but the help is pretty minimal. Really, the older kids help out with the younger kids. We have considered getting a nanny and may do so for residency.

7 kids ?! How was that even financially viable ?

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
We do have family near by but the help is pretty minimal. Really, the older kids help out with the younger kids. We have considered getting a nanny and may do so for residency.
That's helpful to know the older kids help! We will likely wait until our daughter is a bit older before having more

I have three kids and one is medically complex. I start school next month

There are 4 moms and 1 dad in my class going into our 2nd year, 2 of us are single moms and 2 of us are married. I’ve heard we have at least one more mom coming in next year. I wrote about my family in my essay. Honestly I think your grades and your test scores are way more important than your parental status. Medical school is hard though, and medical school as a mom is even harder. But that is something you have to worry about, no one else. I, for one, have decided that graduating is far more important than graduating in the top 25% of my class. I can be a mom and I can be a med student but I can’t be a high achiever at both. Coming to that place was hard, but I got there and I’m glad I did.

Reactions: 5 users
I applied when my daughter was 2. I didn‘t speak about my daughter/family in my application at all but it did makes its way into conversation at most of my interviews. I didn’t feel like it helped or hindered me in my application cycle.

I didn't mention being a parent in my application or interviews. At the time I was worried that it would be considered a negative factor and an excuse to reject me (especially as a single mom). Now as a first year I don't hide it and everyone has been supportive and kind. I think I worried needlessly but if you're concerned about it, it's totally up to you if you want to disclose that information.