Applying with very little vet experience

Started by sambone
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sambone

Cornell 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone gotten into vet school with very few hours actually working with a vet? Im really struggling to get experiences, as I work full time, am in school half time and can't afford a car (you'd be surprised how much that limits you, even in an somewhat urban area.) I've got many hours doing rodent survival surgeries in research, but so far no time in a clinic. I'm just trying to gauge what the minimum in experience is required, as long as all the other credentials (grades, GRE etc.) are really solid.
 
I've got many hours doing rodent survival surgeries in research, but so far no time in a clinic.
I have a similar situation. Lots of research veterinary experience, and until this summer zero time in a private clinic. Also zero large animal experience (beyond having ridden a horse maybe a half-dozen times in my life). Anyway, I only got around to asking the (research) vets I work with and the admissions person at Davis; didn't ask any of the other schools I'm applying to. Both the vets I work with and Davis' admissions person said "pfft! whatever..." when I said I had no large animal experience. The vets I work with actually suggested I find a private practice vet to shadow, though, to "round out" my application. The Davis admissions person nodded her head vigorously when I reported that to her, so I'm guessing that *only* research experience would be a detriment. So, I started shadowing my regular vet for ~4hrs once a week this summer, I've got 32 hours so far and I'll have 44 by the time Oct. 1st rolls around. My vet also hooked me up with the guy they use for radiology consults, he travels between practices all day, and I'm also doing probably one afternoon of shadowing with him. So I'm hoping that's enough.

Now, all this advice was given in the context of me wanting to continue in research and academics. The private practice shadowing was supposed to (and did!) just give me a more balanced view of vet practice and how *most* practicing vets go through their day. I suspect it would be more of a problem if your experience is all research but your intention is to do private practice - they'd legitimately question whether you knew what you were getting into.
 
Has anyone gotten into vet school with very few hours actually working with a vet? Im really struggling to get experiences, as I work full time, am in school half time and can't afford a car (you'd be surprised how much that limits you, even in an somewhat urban area.) I've got many hours doing rodent survival surgeries in research, but so far no time in a clinic. I'm just trying to gauge what the minimum in experience is required, as long as all the other credentials (grades, GRE etc.) are really solid.

You could try to shadow the lab animal facility at your univeristy. Depending on how big it is or if you have a human-med research facility connected to it, you're likely to have swine, calves, dogs, rabbits etc. there. It may seem a little along the same lines as what you've been doing, but actually being in the lab animal management area can be really different. You might get to see and help with some pretty crazy surgeries (pliots for human med procedures). I had both research-animal experience and lab-animal and they asked me about it in all my interviews. It is kind of neat to be able to talk about it from both sides.

Also, just in terms of meeting people, most of the techs I knew that worked lab animal also worked at another clinic...typically at emergency clinics, which often have a decent amount of turnover in techs/assistants. You could try to make friends and just get a ride with someone to work/shadow at their other clinic.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It may seem a little along the same lines as what you've been doing, but actually being in the lab animal management area can be really different. You might get to see and help with some pretty crazy surgeries (pliots for human med procedures). I had both research-animal experience and lab-animal and they asked me about it in all my interviews. It is kind of neat to be able to talk about it from both sides.

Just curious...what did you get to do in your lab animal position? I have been working at my college's lab animal facility for a few weeks, and so far it has been pretty uneventful (I've only seen actual animals twice). I've mainly been sterilizing packs, cleaning up after surgeries, and other assorted cleaning duties. Though I suppose this counts as vet experience since my supervisor is a vet, if I'm not learning anything about lab animal medicine it seems like a waste of my time. Did you starting out doing "dishwashing" and then move up to other duties? It's just a little frustrating, because I already have about 900 vet hours, 4500 animal hours, and about 500 research hours (I'm old), so I was expecting to do more than someone coming in with no experience.😕 Anyway...I would love to hear what you were able to do at your lab animal job.
 
It's just a little frustrating, because I already have about 900 vet hours, 4500 animal hours, and about 500 research hours (I'm old), so I was expecting to do more than someone coming in with no experience.
This could be touchy depending on the particular political environment at your facility, but you could try just asking (very nicely!) to do more. If you say you're trying to get into vet school, and you'd really like to observe more X or do more Y or could they help you learn some Z - just ask to be taught stuff, even if it's something you've actually already done - you might get a really good response. Makes people feel like you care, and like you respect their experience and ability to teach you. Like I said, depending on politics, it might be better to start with the techs who "rank" above you, or it might be better to go directly to the vet in charge, you gotta figure that part out or risk making enemies instead of friends.
 
Just curious...what did you get to do in your lab animal position? I have been working at my college's lab animal facility for a few weeks, and so far it has been pretty uneventful (I've only seen actual animals twice). I've mainly been sterilizing packs, cleaning up after surgeries, and other assorted cleaning duties. Though I suppose this counts as vet experience since my supervisor is a vet, if I'm not learning anything about lab animal medicine it seems like a waste of my time. Did you starting out doing "dishwashing" and then move up to other duties? It's just a little frustrating, because I already have about 900 vet hours, 4500 animal hours, and about 500 research hours (I'm old), so I was expecting to do more than someone coming in with no experience.😕 Anyway...I would love to hear what you were able to do at your lab animal job.

What you do in the lab depends on a lot of factors. First of all, it has a lot to do with who your PI (Principal Investigator) is. Second, if you are a "lab technician" you'll usually be doing work for someone else in the lab; if you get your own grant to do your own independent research, you'll be able to work on your own project. It also depends on who else works in your lab, what kind of work your lab does, and how much training is needed to work in your lab. It depends on a lot.

Most of the time, working in a sterile animal facility or even a traditional lab has nothing to do with how much other animal experience you have, since the lab setting is so much different from every other setting. You really have to learn the ropes of the lab before doing other stuff, because labs are so sensitive to incorrect procedures (fragile equipment, easily contaminated samples, risk of spreading disease).

This is just from my personal experience, since a good chunk of my animal experience is from a lab. There were two PIs that interviewed me that I turned down mostly because they seemed like they thought I was a child because I am an undergraduate. Instead, I work for a PI that believes that undergraduates can do as much work as post-docs, and she pushed me to write my own grant and work independently. It also turned out that this particular PI had projects that were far more up my alley than the other two did. I don't really know much about the lab you're working in, but if you're not satisfied with the lab you're working in, I would strongly encourage you to look elsewhere. Finding the right lab is tough, but it's worth it. You have to be persistent, because most of them will tell you the first time that they don't have room for you. Don't just work where they'll take you - work where you want to work. You may think you're being annoying, but they really value people who are excited and motivated about their particular research field.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I think too many people at my school don't take advantage of research opportunities here because they feel intimidated by it. I hope things work out for you in the lab you're in now, though!
 
The only clinic experience I had was a semester-long internship at a tiny rural clinic near my school. I watched a billion speuters, but didn't do much else. My other animal experiences included field research, working with a therapeutic horseback riding program, and working at a pet store. I got accepted to the University of Minnesota on my first attempt, but I was waitlisted. I'm definitely on the low end for clinic experience in my class, but it can be done.

Good luck!
 
It can be done, when it comes down to it grades are really most important to admissions, and everything else just rounds you out and convinces them.

I understand being busy, however, I really suggest that you see it as gaining experience for your own good, not to just help you get in.... I am worked as a technician for one year, and feel that now I know for certain that I know what I'm getting into and that it is really actually what I want. I believe that what the admissions committees are looking for, they want to accept people who will make it, and if you don't have much experience working for a vet, they might be concerned that you don't know what it's all about. Furthermore, any hands on practice you get now will make everything easier when you get into clinics.

Your research experience is probably enough, but any amount of shadowing will help your application and your vet school experience!

🙂
Miranda
 
Hey Miss Behavior- sorry I took so long to reply. school/work is making me insane! Anyhow, there are tons of full time/part time research technician positions out there, and many of them require small animal work. (I had to go full time to pay for my classes.) Just go to university websites and look at job opportunities in research, and usually job descriptions will tell you whether small animal surgery is involved. (Not sure where you live, but some sample schools/institutes: Harvard, BU, Northwestern, Columbia, Cleveland Clinic etc....basically any big school with biomed research.)
I worked in a lab college but didnt have a degree in science, so I had to find places that didnt require the B.S. Lots do, unfortunately.
Good Luck!

BTW - Miranda, I'm Midd '04 ( I think I saw somewhere that you went there too) I wish there were a vet school in Vermont!