Applying without a MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infernallyx

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working on my application, doing tweaks on my PS and Work/Activities descriptions, however I don't have a MCAT to even help decide a school list (taking the MCAT on June 27th hopefully); I am thinking about sending my application out to most of the Michigan MD schools (UM, MSU, Wayne) since I live here and then adding schools later on. Is this a good plan? My gpa is 3.916 so I am okay on that department. I also plan on starting my DO apps right after taking the MCAT. I just need an opinion on how to best go about my situation. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Submit AMCAS to one THROWAWAY school and then add actual schools you want to attend AFTER you get your score.

Do you think that will put me at a disadvantage, sending out primaries in mid July (July 14th is when I get my score)? Could my throwaway school be one I wouldn't mind attending and would've applied to anyways (maybe a school I currently attend and am currently scoring FL around their average)?

Do you think that will put me at a disadvantage, sending out primaries in mid July (July 14th is when I get my score)? Could my throwaway school be one I wouldn't mind attending and would've applied to anyways (maybe a school I currently attend and am currently scoring FL around their average)?
Your throwaway should be a school you don't care if you don't get in. The reason why people are suggesting a throwaway school is if you completely bomb your MCAT and are no longer competitive, you can adjust your school list or withdraw. Sending out primaries mid-July isn't late and it's a lot better than having to be a re-applicant at a school you want to attend.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Nope. I submitted my primary to schools at the end of July (2019-2020), completed all secondaries by mid/late August, had a very successful cycle, and will be matriculating in just a few weeks. I would say, if you feel inclined to do so, submit your primary for verification to a throwaway school as others have said, and be patient in submitting "for real" to schools you definitely want to attend. It's better to submit your application at the end of July to school and utilizing the next month to polish, polish, and polish your app some more as opposed to rushing to get it out the door ASAP.

Reactions: 1 user
Your throwaway should be a school you don't care if you don't get in. The reason why people are suggesting a throwaway school is if you completely bomb your MCAT and are no longer competitive, you can adjust your school list or withdraw. Sending out primaries mid-July isn't late and it's a lot better than having to be a re-applicant at a school you want to attend.
And what happens if get sick the night before but decide to go ahead anyway and get a 497 on the MCAT, thus ruining your chances whatsoever? You get an MCAT score and then you worry about secondaries. Either an utter throwaway school that you never attend or a very high reach that would take a near perfect MCAT and an LOR from the almighty to have a chance. Just remember if the almighty says you are so good you can walk on water, and adcom will note "applicant cant swim"
Nope. I submitted my primary to schools at the end of July (2019-2020), completed all secondaries by mid/late August, had a very successful cycle, and will be matriculating in just a few weeks. I would say, if you feel inclined to do so, submit your primary for verification to a throwaway school as others have said, and be patient in submitting "for real" to schools you definitely want to attend. It's better to submit your application at the end of July to school and utilizing the next month to polish, polish, and polish your app some more as opposed to rushing to get it out the door ASAP.

These are all good points! Thank you so much for the help