Applying without taking OChem 2 yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EcoR1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying this summer, however I won't be taking OChem 2 until the fall. Its possible for me to take the lecture in the summer, but no matter what I can't take the lab until the fall. If I haven't finished all of my pre-reqs at the time I submit my application will it be detrimental in any way?

Members don't see this ad.

It is in your best interest to apply when you have the strongest application possible. This means completing all pre-reqs and taking the MCAT when you are most prepared to score well. If you are a non-trad with a non science background, it is in your best interest to complete all of the pre-req classes before applying so that you can demonstrate your ability to handle the rigors of medical school. This may be difficult to do while missing one of the most rigorous pre-req classes. Additionally, not completing o chem 2 may be a problem for your MCAT prep as it is one of the recommended courses. My questions for you are: when are you taking the MCAT? how do you plan on covering the material without taking the class?

I plan on applying this summer, however I won't be taking OChem 2 until the fall. Its possible for me to take the lecture in the summer, but no matter what I can't take the lab until the fall. If I haven't finished all of my pre-reqs at the time I submit my application will it be detrimental in any way?

I took the MCAT without Orgo 2. I did fine on the exam. The two books Orgo as a second language by klein should be more than enough to cover for all orgo materials covered on the mcat. best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you haven't taken the MCAT yet, it will really depends on how well you can teach yourself the material.

Have you taken Biochem yet? Most of the Organic II material is directly cross-linked with Biochem material. If you have taken Biochem, maybe. If you haven't taken either Biochem OR Organic II - definitely not.

But I agree with the previous answer about it being a seriously rigorous class and wanting to present a strong application. Sorry this wasn't the most insightful answer.

While you can apply, and some ADCOMs will still look at your package, Organic Chemistry II tends to be the 'crucible' that makes or breaks a lot of apps. Many will want to wait, or delay review until that prereq is complete. Just keep that in mind when you apply. If its just the lab portion that you're taking in the fall, and your lecture series will be done in the summer, you may have a better shot than someone who enters fall with both incomplete.

There is some questionable advice in this thread - be wary, OP. I have friends (with non-science backgrounds) who did just fine on the MCAT and got interviews from Harvard, Stanford, and other top schools without taking Orgo 2.

If you have done well in your other classes and done well on the MCAT, I don't think you need to take Orgo 2 for the sole purpose of proving to medical schools that you can handle a rigorous course. On the other hand, it might help sell your story and show that you've reinvented yourself if you're trying to recover from a bad undergrad GPA, or something like that. It probably depends on the specifics of your application.

I am not an AdCom and could certainly be wrong about this, but I don't think having Orgo 2 incomplete would hurt your application at all. Many/most schools no longer require it anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
I've already taken organic chemistry I and biochem in undergrad. I've bought organic chemistry as a second language by Klein and read through both first and second semester topics and feel like I have a good grasp on the material. In addition I plan on taking the MCAT in April and have taken several full-length practice exams and scored sufficiently well.

My worry is mainly that AdComs see Orgo as a make or break class much like Brancer said, and without it they may be more dismissive about my application.

Most of the schools I've been accepted to don't even require Orgo 2 anymore, they will take a semester of biochem instead. I don't think it will hurt you, provided you have already taken and done well on the MCAT.

Most of the schools I've been accepted to don't even require Orgo 2 anymore, they will take a semester of biochem instead. I don't think it will hurt you, provided you have already taken and done well on the MCAT.

That was not my experience this cycle. In fact, many schools are now requiring Organic II with biochem (Source: RVUCOM, MUCOM etc). Maybe it has changed for allopathic schools, but all of the osteopathic schools I applied to require a year of Organic.

Reactions: 1 user
That was not my experience this cycle. In fact, many schools are now requiring Organic II with biochem (Source: RVUCOM, MUCOM etc). Maybe it has changed for allopathic schools, but all of the osteopathic schools I applied to require a year of Organic.

Sorry I should have specified, I only applied to MD programs. Most of my schools didn't require Orgo 2 (Tulane, case western, university of Wisconsin, Hofstra, suny upstate, suny stony brook)