Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if we are expected to write down where we do our ophtho elective rotations on our SFmatch applications? I would feel a little weird letting places where I really want to go (but couldn't b/c of scheduling problems, etc) know where I spent elective time at. I know it's probably inevitable once you get an interview but is there a way around it on the actual application?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a field on the form that asks for "Ophthalmology elective(s) and related activities." The instructions say: "These pages are intended to help selection committees achieve a better understanding of your experience, motivations, interests, and preferences so that they may better assess the ?match? between the program and your needs."

I think it's up to you how to interpret it and decide how much information to divulge there.

You can see all the CAS materials here.

Just tell the truth. If you get an interview, it will probably come up. Also,selections are sometimes made because something on your application looks familiar. Ophtho is a small world, so it's entirely possible that faculty at the programs you're applying to will know faculty where you did your electives.