Appropriate Hobby?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anomandaris

MS2
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just curious about bringing up a particular hobby of mine in some upcoming interviews. Would you mention visiting/searching for new craft breweries/beer would be an okay thing to bring up if they asked about hobbies?

I live on the West Coast and I'm a pretty darn big beer enthusiast (I will drive hours and hours out of the way to hit up a brewery, waited 10 hours in line at a brewery for a beer that is only released 2 weeks out of a year, etc.). I'm not a raging alcoholic or anything, but it is something I really really enjoy searching for/tasting. Just not sure how interviewers might see this. Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

In an interview, this is totally fine. Friends of mine talked about beer and wine as things they liked to explore and got accepted I wouldn't put it on your app though. Just make it more of a "I like exploring new and unique beers/wines" than "I like kicking back 12 bud lights on a weekend". Same thing as if you're going to talk about being a foodie.

Reactions: 4 users
In an interview, this is totally fine. Friends of mine talked about beer and wine as things they liked to explore and got accepted I wouldn't put it on your app though. Just make it more of a "I like exploring new and unique beers/wines" than "I like kicking back 12 bud lights on a weekend". Same thing as if you're going to talk about being a foodie.

Thanks for the advice! I definitely didn't mention this on my app. I was thinking of mentioning it if they directly ask about my hobbies, or include it as part of an answer to "tell me about yourself"-type questions.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would hope that mentioning bud light at all would mean an instant rejection.

Reactions: 11 users
I would like to see that with an appropriate spin for an EC.
I'm a very enthusiastic and successful funeral director. But my success has not been without downsides- I've run out of room in the cemetery for my future patrons. To that end, I've taken to seeking out new places that loved ones will not only mourn their loved ones at, but also enjoy experiencing. Think picturesque places, with waterfalls and foliage and all the beauty of nature, so that one can see all the beauty of life, even when reflecting upon death.

Of course, this brings me back to my personal statement- I decided to go into medicine because I got tired of putting people in the ground, wonderful a career as it was, and decided my life would be better served keeping them from ending up there in the first place.

That's the best I've got.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm a very enthusiastic and successful funeral director. But my success has not been without downsides- I've run out of room in the cemetery for my future patrons. To that end, I've taken to seeking out new places that loved ones will not only mourn their loved ones at, but also enjoy experiencing. Think picturesque places, with waterfalls and foliage and all the beauty of nature, so that one can see all the beauty of life, even when reflecting upon death.

Of course, this brings me back to my personal statement- I decided to go into medicine because I got tired of putting people in the ground, wonderful a career as it was, and decided my life would be better served keeping them from ending up there in the first place.

That's the best I've got.

10/10 pathology residency interview

Reactions: 1 user