Appropriate outfit for interview? (men)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted995794

I was lucky enough to receive an interview and I already have a great fitting slim-fit wool navy suit ($90) and blue silk tie with polka dots (free), leather dark burgundy/mahogany color double monk strap shoes ($25) and a slim-fit light pink dress shirt. (I have a model/athletic build if that matters) If I decide to wear a white shirt I'll have to buy a new one since the collar on my old one is too tight!

So I'm wondering if navy suit/basic belt/light pink shirt/double monk strap shoes/no watch would be appropriate or is it too distracting?

I try to only shop clearances since I'm broke :laugh: and I don't want to be perceived as a show off but my entire outfit is $150 and it's very comfortable! I'd be willing to spend another $80 for traditional oxford shoes/ white shirt if deemed absolutely necessary since. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
@gyngyn is the expert in this arena, but I’d say no on the pink shirt

Members don't see this ad :)
My foolproof method:

1. Navy/Charcoal/Gray suit (plain formal texture)

2. White/Light Blue shirt

3. Brown shoes

4. Conservative tie

5. Match your belt with your shoe color

** a dress watch if you want.

Any combination works. Don't be that guy that tries to stand out. Medicine is a conservative field, so dress conservatively.

It's a good idea to invest a bit more in your interview outfit. You're gonna use it for multiple interviews (hopefully) and throughout your medical career.

Edit: ties

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You're doing too much. Keep it simple and conservative. Don't be concerned with the couple hundred dollars you'll have to spend on appropriate interview attire, if you get in you're going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on your education what's 500 more?

Reactions: 1 user
My foolproof method:

4. Conservative tie (if the tie has multiple colors, 1 of them should be similar to your suit)

Agree with everything except this. You don’t need to match your tie and suit.

White shirts are truly just awful imo unless your suit is black. This isn’t high school prom. Get a light blue shirt.

• Okay...
White shirts are truly just awful imo unless your suit is black. This isn’t high school prom. Get a light blue shirt.
I actually do have a light blue shirt. Is it appropriate to wear with a navy suit and navy tie?

My foolproof method:

1. Navy/Charcoal/Gray suit (plain formal texture)

2. White/Light Blue shirt

4. Conservative tie (if the tie has multiple colors, 1 of them should be similar to your suit)

I do have a light blue shirt! I just thought it would look funky with a navy suit and navy tie. What do you think?

I do have a light blue shirt! I just thought it would look funky with a navy suit and navy tie. What do you think?

Navy suit + light blue shirt looks good. I take back what I said about ties. Do you have more ties you can show us?

Agree with everything except this. You don’t need to match your tie and suit.

Actually yeah, don't need to match the tie and suit. I was thinking about a few of my multi-color ties and they happened to match somewhat with my suit colors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Navy suit + light blue shirt looks good. I take back what I said about ties. Do you have more ties you can show us?
I raided my dad's closet for non shiny ties - others were very complex patterns or dull colors so I avoided those. I also have a $25 gift card to men's wearhouse so I can buy another if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_4476.jpg
    IMG_4476.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 71
I raided my dad's closet for non shiny ties - others were very complex patterns or dull colors so I avoided those. I also have a $25 gift card to men's wearhouse so I can buy another if needed.

I like the bottom tie.

A light blue shirt is fine.
Have you no oxfords? Those double monks are suboptimal.

I'll look into getting a pair of oxfords in the same color. Would you say the navy tie is fine or should I pick one of the red ones?

Blue shirt, navy suit, blue tie is fine. monk strap shoes are fine but less formal than oxfords but I wouldn’t buy new shoes for that. Let’s just say you wouldn’t make it through your interview at McKinsey or Bain but you’ll be fine for medical school. conservative appearance is good, flashy is bad. You want to be remembered for what you say and how you seem as opposed to what your attire was like.

People put wayyyyyyyyyyy too much thought into this. I decided “eh, screw it” dressed almost like Milo Yiannopoulos and got accepted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wore a grey subtly striped suit, black shoes AND belt (!!!), white shirt, black watch, and pink tie with flowers on it. In hindsight I looked like a mobster. I was terrified I might’ve gone overboard, but I have since dubbed it my lucky tie.

My one advice comes from a wise man. Don’t wear a black suit with an Apple Watch. You look like a Spy Kid.