Appropriate Time to Follow-up with a Job/Volunteer Position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThePiedPiper

Crazy Cat Lady
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my resume and cover letter to a veterinarian at a local hospital at the beginning of January, followed-up with a phone call. He responded by calling me back, setting me up with the practice manager, getting me in touch with the head tech who's involved at the animal shelter and also working with training police K-9s, etc. I had my interview, and the practice manager told me she'd have one of the technicians give me a call about setting up some time for me to come in and volunteer. The technician called and she said she'd discuss the best method for how to train me with the other RVT on staff and I was supposed to get a call last Wednesday in order to set something up. They ended up not calling, which is entirely fine, as I understand they get busy and they've all been a little bit late in returning my calls. Not to mention I need to get scrub pants! :p However, would it be appropriate to do a follow-up call either tomorrow or Wednesday (a week after they were supposed to ring me) and simply ask for a status update (though not in so many words)? Or should I wait another week and if they don't call, then do a follow-up?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is fine to call them now.

and get your scrub pants at goodwill - I get all mine there for about 50 cents per piece

I think a week is plenty of time. You don't want to wait too long. They might forget about you or think you've moved on. Don't worry about bothering them. They probably just forgot!

Okay, awesome! I've only been leaving a week during follow-ups because that's been their timeline. They'll tell me they'll call me on x day but then I won't get a call until a week later. I'll ring them tomorrow though, since they're closed by this point. I always worry about calling at a bad time, but I think it's going to be better to call than leave a message, since I've already been interviewed.

I didn't think about Goodwill for scrub pants. I know there's a scrub store that I went to for my first scrub top to get my size and I have a couple more coming in the mail, since I won't have time to wash and hang dry scrub tops between clinic visits (plus I'm oddly anal and want one scrub uniform for one clinic and one for the other). I have no clue what size I am in a scrub pant so I've been trying to find a time to go in and try a bunch on. :oops: But thank you both!