Appying and Post-Bacc question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

envirodoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is taking post-bacc classes currently, but still needs to take Physics over the next year to finish off pre-reqs. She is a non-trad, been working in labland as a lab manager for 8 years with a few publications, book chapter etc and is really ready for med school.

She has already taken Orgo 1 and 2 and got a B for class, A for lab. She will be taking Physics this coming year.

She signed up for the MCAT for this summer(took PR review class), but wanted to know whether she can/should apply this year before taking Physics. Do MD schools really need to see all pre-reqs done for non-trads BEFORE the application??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

She does not need to have all med school pre-reqs done before applying to med school, however she really should have physics done before she takes the MCAT! I took it two times, and one of the tests was very heavy on Physics (one of my weak points) and the other still had a fair amount of detailed phys questions. Even with a review class, I don't think it's a good idea to take MCAT w/o having already taken at least..... CHEM 1&2, ORGO1 (&2 is helpful), General BIO 1&2, PHYS 1&2. Helpful classes would be physiology and/or cell bio, english composition if you care about the writing section, biochem, a critical thinking or reasoning class is helpful for the reading section.

I know how anxious you can get when it gets close to application time, I almost applied a year earlier as well, but in the long run I had a much better application by waiting another year. If I were her, I would wait another year and try to fit one or two of the helpful classes in while she's taking phys, then plan for the MCAT next spring.

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is taking post-bacc classes currently, but still needs to take Physics over the next year to finish off pre-reqs. She is a non-trad, been working in labland as a lab manager for 8 years with a few publications, book chapter etc and is really ready for med school.

She has already taken Orgo 1 and 2 and got a B for class, A for lab. She will be taking Physics this coming year.

She signed up for the MCAT for this summer(took PR review class), but wanted to know whether she can/should apply this year before taking Physics. Do MD schools really need to see all pre-reqs done for non-trads BEFORE the application??

Thanks!