April 15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjpa77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the significance of April 15. Is this the deadline for mailing acceptance deposits for all veterinary colleges?

Members don't see this ad.

The 15th is a Sunday this year, so I think pretty much all schools have set the 16th as their deadline this time around. Of course this really only matters if you're dragging a decision out until the very last second and are counting on the "April 16th" postmark to get you through. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the significance of April 15. Is this the deadline for mailing acceptance deposits for all veterinary colleges?

Depends on the school. The University of Edinburgh doesn't require a deposit until early May.

Depends on the school. The University of Edinburgh doesn't require a deposit until early May.

Clarification: all U.S. schools have a common deadline of April 15th every year. Or April 16th, as it happens, this year.

Is anyone else dragging their feet and making a decision at the laaaaast minute??

except of course tuskegee...who won't even mail out acceptances till then....i swear I'm going to get an ulcer :scared:

Clarification: all U.S. schools have a common deadline of April 15th every year. Or April 16th, as it happens, this year.

Are we just supposed to intuitively know this? I have not received one thing from my school informing me of this...

Are we just supposed to intuitively know this? I have not received one thing from my school informing me of this...

Some schools mention the agreement in their admissions letters, others just state the deadline.

except of course tuskegee...who won't even mail out acceptances till then....i swear I'm going to get an ulcer :scared:

What?! I thought all schools had a common response deadline!

What?! I thought all schools had a common response deadline!

In my paperwork from MN, they wrote that they honor the recommendation of the Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges to not require an enrollment commitment from applicants until after April 15.

Their wording made an sound like it was a recommendation, not a requirement, that schools abide by a common response date. Although, not doing so would put both students and schools in an awkward position, particuarly if the school was one of very few that did not abide by it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The April deadline is a "gentleman's" agreement between schools that states the EARLIEST they can require a student to respond by. At UIUC they told people that if any school asks for a commitment earlier than that, we should nark them out ;)

Tuskegee's acceptance letters went out already...My lil brother got his today!

The April deadline is a "gentleman's" agreement between schools that states the EARLIEST they can require a student to respond by. At UIUC they told people that if any school asks for a commitment earlier than that, we should nark them out ;)

I'm almost positive that when I went to an open house at Western they said that they require a decision by (I think) April 15th. I withdrew before this part of the process, so I don't have a letter or anything to back it up, but I'm pretty sure that's what they said. Maybe they have different standards because they are a private school? I don't know...

That's right. But they can't require a decision from you any earlier than that. So they can't say "tell us your decision by March 23rd or you'll lose your spot"

Tuskegee's acceptance letters went out already...My lil brother got his today!

REALLY??? Is he in state/contract or at large?? I think sometimes they send those out at different times....you just got my anxiety to kick in lol

HAHA, I misunderstood your post. Maybe if I read more closely I would have seen that you said the EARLIEST (in large capital font) they could require a response was the 15th. Please disregard my previous post :p

Kinda hijacking the thread but... MaxPower you may want to call and check the status of your app (unless you've heard from them recently). A friend of mine applied and called to see how it was coming along since he hadn't heard much recently - and was told that they "didn't have anyone down by that name" -- :confused: ...Second hand info... but they seem to do things differently over there.

Kinda hijacking the thread but... MaxPower you may want to call and check the status of your app (unless you've heard from them recently). A friend of mine applied and called to see how it was coming along since he hadn't heard much recently - and was told that they "didn't have anyone down by that name" -- :confused: ...Second hand info... but they seem to do things differently over there.

Oh that's wonderful....differently is a good word for it...the other girl from wv that interviewed (i don't know who else did) hasn't heard anything either and the girl i knew from here last year that goes there now says they haevn't sent them (as of a few days ago) so i think i'm okay

im bumping this so maybe SwissB4 will give me more info