April 30th Deadline Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Francisco Kelley

Reaction score
I received my first med school acceptance on April 1st and selected them as my plan to enroll school. I have to pay a $100 "commitment deposit" by April 30th (today). I received a second acceptance on April 27th. The second school requested that I respond to their offer and pay a $100 deposit 2 weeks from April 27th. Am I allowed to pay the commitment deposit for the first school today, while continuing to hold my offer of acceptance from the second school until the deadline they provided (2 weeks from 4/27)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To my knowledge, yes. So long as you don’t choose the Commit to Enroll option on CYMS for AAMC, you are free to do that. However, I can’t recall how long you have from receiving the second acceptance on April 27 to narrow down to just one acceptance on CYMS. Thoughts anyone??

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t you have to be down to once acceptance by Monday?
Not if you received a second acceptance between 4/18 and today. While ALL dates are set by schools, not AAMC, which only offers suggestions, the suggestion most schools follow is that applicants receive a minimum of two weeks to respond to acceptances issued on or before 4/30.

As a result, just like with an acceptance received off a WL, you can hold any acceptances received after 4/18 for a minimum of two weeks IN ADDITION TO the one acceptance you are holding from all of the acceptances you received before 4/18.

Basically, schools cannot see acceptances; they can only see PTE elections. You can hold any acceptance received after 4/18, in addition to the PTE selection you have made, until the new school requires you to make a PTE election. Just like an acceptance received off a WL! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I received my first med school acceptance on April 1st and selected them as my plan to enroll school. I have to pay a $100 "commitment deposit" by April 30th (today). I received a second acceptance on April 27th. The second school requested that I respond to their offer and pay a $100 deposit 2 weeks from April 27th. Am I allowed to pay the commitment deposit for the first school today, while continuing to hold my offer of acceptance from the second school until the deadline they provided (2 weeks from 4/27)?
Yup. Just realize that you will lose that deposit after today.

Unless you already know that you prefer school #2; if so you can just pay the deposit to them and not to school 1.

Reactions: 1 user