April MCAT scores...please advise!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IOE

forever DUBwise!!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everybody...i just recieved my April Mcat scores.....kindda disappointing....VR:06 (OUCH!...didn't even expect such a pathetic score!)..PS:11..BS:09..WS:O...my overall GPA: 4.00....4 yrs volunteer experience in 3 countries...3 rsearch experiences...partaken in an epidemiology conference...currently on a research fellowship in the NIH (allograft rejection research)...plus a couple of swimming medals here and there....NOW...i don't know should i apply or not...can someone please advise me...i'd really appreciate it! thnxx

Members don't see this ad.

i would defintely retake in august.

-Bill

You may apply to a few schools now so you do not waste your time waiting. Leave all the scholl where you actually want to go until you get august results

Members don't see this ad :)
Submit application now but retake mcat in August. You have very impressive ec's, gpa, etc. so that should somewhat benefit you as far as the low mcat goes. Apply to a lot of schools.

Thanx alot for your opinions...it sure gave me some hope...i still have some doubt about the august test...its just a few weeks away and it would look really bad if i get an even lower score! A friend of mine advised me to apply with this result anyway and at the same time start preparing for next april's...this way, he said, i would have enough time to significantly pump up my MCATs and at the same time not lose any chance of getting into a medical school (a low tier ofcourse) ....what do u all think about that plan....has anybody been admitted to a medical school with a 6 on the VR??

I think that your friend does have a point. If you are not ready to retake in August due to not studying or whatever, then do not sit for the MCAT. Apply this year and see what happens, if you do not get any downright acceptances by the end of December then start studying for the April MCAT.

IOE,
I would retake the test if I were you. It is crucial to get at least double digits in the sciences. A non double digit verbal is alright considering you have a high gpa! Which undergrad are you from?

IOE,
relax! you have a little over two months until the next MCAT.. thats plenty of time to prepare and do well. All you need with those stats is the average(29) or better.. who knows, you could get in with your current score. don't wait around until next april-knock em down in aug!
I'll be there.

whoa, IOE, I got the exact same scores you got when i took the test last april, even in the same sections... i think you might be able to get away with it judging by your other qualifications, but i think it would be a big risk to take since applying to med school is very expensive. I suggest taking it again and bringing your score up. I was able to up mine 6 points, from a 26 to a 32, which made a good impression and conversation topic at my interviews.

Best to you,
Sneezy

P.S. I agree with Biffer, 2 months is good. I spent last summer studying for the MCAT from the time school got out, till test time. I finished the Flowers & Silver book, and left myself 2 weeks to just take practice tests... I want to put in a plug for The MCAT Physics Book--I thought it was awesome!

Sometimes in life we are forced to do the only thing we hate most....i guess now is that time for me! resitting for that test is a real pain in the arse...and that will be my second and very last time....i have no probs re-studing for the sciences...kindda enjoy it actually....but that verbal....i just donno where to start...any good prep books ya'll recommend??