April or August MCAT ????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mefistofel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I?m registered for Bio I, Physics I and Orgo I for this Fall semester. During the next Spring semester I will finish all my prerequisites. Now the problem is when to take the MCAT: April or August? I heard different opinions: some say that the material on MCAT is all from the second classes (Orgo II, Physics II and Bio II, btw, I?m done with regular chemistry). So if that the case, then I will do really badly on the MCAT since I will not know the stuff from the seconds classes. Others say, that it?s such a bad idea to take it in August, that it?s all worth it. I really need your opinion guys! Thanks a lot!

PS: I want to get into the med school in the Fall of 2005.

Members don't see this ad.

You need enough time outside of class to devote to MCAT prep; probably a minimum of 2 hours per day, 6 days per week, for 10 weeks (and 12 hours once per week is not equivalent). Many people need more than this.

Many people have trouble finding time in April, since the test is close to the end of semester, when you will have many assignments and labs due.

The value of doing the April test is that you will have finished it, and if you decide to retake in August, you will have time to do so and still apply for 2005. The value of August is that you have the whole summer to study - if you have the time and discipline to do so.

A big problem I saw in my Kaplan students was that they waited until the last 2 weeks to really start studying. Many had very full schedules with summer school and work, and had not set aside the time for the out-of-class prep that is necessary. You cannot treat MCAT prep like an undergrad course and wait until the last minute; I think you have to treat it like a job and go to work nearly every day, whether you want to or not.