APSA 2009 Annual Meeting - April 24-26, 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freddytn

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are excited to announce APSA's 5th Annual meeting held in conjunction with the Association of American Physicians (AAP) and the American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI).

Why should you attend the 5th Annual APSA meeting?

* Expand your knowledge on a number of topics.
* Find yourself face-to-face with top physician-scientists in the country.
* The largest meeting of physician-scientists from the student, to the resident/fellow, the the young investigator, to the professor, researcher, manager, CEO, VP, director, and other established physician-scientists.
* A unique environment combining academia, industry, and government.
* A great chance to network.
* Submit your abstract to be considered for travel awards ($500) and present your research to win numerous poster awards ($1000) offered by the APSA and ASCI/AAP

** Please note the deadline for submitting abstracts for the CSCR/MWAFMR awards is December 12, 2008.**

Check out the website http://meeting.physicianscientists.org/ for more information.

Thanks!
APSA Annual Meeting
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Happy New Year's!

Some new updates to the APSA Annual Meeting:
1) The ASCI/AAP Poster Session Abstract Submission deadline has been extended to February 13, 2009. The submission site will be up soon.
2) The lineup of speakers and panelists is virtually finalized and the current lineup is listed below but go to the meeting website (http://meeting.physicianscientists.org) for the most up to date information and to learn more about our speakers and sessions:

APSA - Diane Havlir, MD
APSA - Mary Dinauer, MD, PhD
ASCI/AAP - Elaine Fuchs, PhD
ASCI/AAP - George Daley, MD, PhD
ASCI/AAP - Barry S. Coler, MD
ASCI/AAP - Robert M. Califf, MD
ASCI/AAP - Michael T. Longaker, MD, MBA
ASCI/AAP - Rob Wechsler-Reya, PhD
ASCI/AAP - Amy Wagers, PhD
ASCI/AAP - Shizuo Akira, MD, PhD
ASCI/AAP - Ruslan Medzhitov, PhD
ASCI/AAP - William H. Hauswirth, PhD
APSA - Griffin Rodgers, MD
APSA - David Engman, MD, PhD
APSA - Toni Scarpa, MD, PhD
APSA - Nancy Brown, MD
ASCI/AAP - Nancy Andrews, MD, PhD
ASCI/AAP - Elliott Kieff, MD, PhD
APSA - James R Gavin, III, MD, PhD
ASCI/AAP - Paul Farmer, MD, PhD
ASCI/AAP - Michael Welsh, MD
ASCI/AAP - Francois M. Abboud, MD
APSA - Jeffrey Friedman, MD, PhD
APSA - Lorraine Fitzpatrick, MD
APSA - Hossein Ardehali, MD, PhD
APSA - Dennis Ausiello, MD
APSA - Maria-Luisa Alegre, MD, PhD
APSA - Pamela Schwartzberg, MD, PhD

We are expecting a large turnout for this year's APSA Annual Meeting as we celebrate our 5th year as an organization. We hope to see you all in Chicago. Also remember that you must be a dues paying member of APSA to gain access to the complimentary registration offered to APSA members to the ASCI/AAP Meeting and the CSCR/MWAFMR Meeting. In addition, to access APSA's Awards you must also become a dues paying member of APSA. So don't forget to sign up to become a member to receive the member discounted registration fee along with your other member benefits. Register Early as we have limited spots to various events throughout the weekend!! We look forward to seeing you and your friends in Chicago on April 24-26, 2009.

The Abstract Submission deadline is quickly approaching and is on February 13, 2009. Submit your abstract today to become eligible for $750.00 Travel Awards.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My friend is an international medical student. Can he submit his abstract for the conference? Will they review it and will conference officials offer him a travel grant??

Abstracts will be reviewed on a competitive basis for acceptance into the poster session. The limited travel awards are awarded to the best abstracts submitted.

Are undergraduate researchers allowed to submit abstracts for this event?

Thanks for answering my question! And I'm assuming being a non-member does not affect the chances of your winning a travel award?

Thanks for answering my question! And I'm assuming being a non-member does not affect the chances of your winning a travel award?

Being a non-member does not affect your chances for travel awards. Good Luck!

Congratulations to those of you who have gotten your abstracts accepted to the Poster Session bringing a record number of 146 accepted posters with 118 of those submitted by APSA members making up 81% of the posters presented compared to 82/107 (77%) in 2008. Congratulations to all and best of luck as you compete for the six $1000.00 Poster Awards (3 by ASCI/AAP and 3 by APSA).

Congratulations to the following APSA members who received $750.00 ASCI/AAP Travel Awards this year (the first time APSA members have become eligible, previously only K awardees were eligible to apply). All 100% of the awards this year have gone to APSA Members. Congratulations!!!

1. Thomas Flood - University of Massachusetts
2. Helena Jonsson - Washington University St. Louis
3. Jennifer Kim - Brown University
4. Sandhya Ravichandran - University of Utah
5. Cecinio Ronquillo - University of Utah
6. Frances Saccoccio - Virginia Commonwealth University
7. Daniel Schneider - University of Texas Houston
8. Meera Sridharan - St. Louis University
9. David T. Terrano - University of Arkansas Medical Sciences
10. Suzanne Thibodeaux - University of Texas Health Sciences
11. Michael Valentino - Thomas Jefferson University
12. Christopher Welch - University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
13. Fiona Young - University of British Columbia
14. Monica Walker - Washington University St. Louis

Congratulations to the following APSA Members / Students who received the $500.00 CSCR Trainee Travel Awards.
1. Samuel Bakhoum - Dartmouth Medical School - APSA Member / MD-PhD Student
2. Joan Beckman - University of Minnesota - APSA Member / MD-PhD Student
3. Katie Bullinger - Wright State University - APSA Member / MD-PhD Stuent
4. Jennifer Delfs - University of Iowa - MD-PhD Student
5. Dylan Dodd - University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign - APSA Member / MD-PhD Student
6. Collin Ellis - University of California Davis - APSA Member / PhD Student
7. Ahmara Gibbons - Thomas Jefferson University - APSA Member / MD-PhD Student
8. Uma Goyal - Arizona University - Medical Student
9. Aleksandar Krbanjevic, MD - University of Illinois Chicago - APSA Member / PhD Student
10. Farah Laiwalla - Brown University - APSA Member / MD-PhD Student
11. Bonnie Lau - Brown University - APSA Member / MD-PhD Student
12. Prem Premsrirut - Stony Brook University - APSA Member / MD-PhD Student
13. Michael Valentino - Thomas Jefferson University - APSA Member / MD-PhD Student

Congratulations to the following APSA Members / Students who received the MWAFMR's Scholars Program Awards.
1. Joan Beckman - University of Minnesota - APSA Member / MD-PhD Student
2. Justin Ellet - Medical University of South Carolina - MD-PhD Student

I'm not sure where else to post this...

I'm looking for a male roommate to split hotel costs at the Fairmont for Fri - Sun for the 2009 APSA / ASCI / AAP meeting. Unfortunately the room is has a king bed (they didn't have any doubles available). I'm normal and don't smoke / snore / smell bad. I had a friend bail on the trip last minute, and really don't want to eat the $260/night hotel bill on my own. Please contact me at sorenmj [at] gmail.com if interested.

Thanks!