Aquaphor vs Vaseline for wound-healing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RhesusPuffs

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thoughts on the two for post-op wound healing? I've seen both used on my rotations, and most of the JAAD wound-healing studies use Aquaphor (AHO) rather than 100% petrolatum, but no study compared the two on cosmetic outcomes.
 
I tend to prefer Vaseline, mostly because it’s cheaper. I’ve also seen a few patients with presumed ACD using Aquaphor post op, although they’ll tell you the lanolin alcohol in Aquaphor isn’t particularly antigenic. Otherwise, I’m sure there’s no difference. I also doubt there’d be much difference with any other ointment, ie Vaniply, etc.
 
for wound healing the same. price point the Vaseline is better on the wallet. doesn't really matter as long as you don't use like weird scented stuff