Aquatic Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kc90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was doing a little random research on physical therapy and came across Aquatic Therapy. It seems pretty cool and "high tech"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5reUWXBDEs

just wondering if any of the schools you guys attend have this facility? What is the general opinion of PTs on Aquatic Therapy? Is it useful or just a flashy equipment?

kc90

Members don't see this ad.

The company I work for offers aquatic therapy in one of our offices. We have a PT who spends half her day in the water and half her day on land. We will also send patients from our other offices to that office specifically for the aquatic therapy.

When I was in college, we would take athletes to the aquatic center on campus to do aquatic therapy and aquatic workouts. These were for athletes such as track runners with stress fractures, etc that did not allow them to exercise normally.

I've spent quite a bit of time doing aquatic therapy with outpatient pediatric patients. While we we didn't have an underwater treadmill, we made use of everything from flippers to beach balls. No flashy equipment, but great case by case results. Weight bearing status, low tone, sensory factors, and decreased LE strength among other factors could contribute to the decision to see patients in the therapy pool. I don't have it on hand but the research is there. The limiting factor tends to be the cost and availability of a therapy pool.