Arcadia Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajune

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally heard from Arcadia via email last night that if I submit a $500 deposit I can be put on a "short" waitlist. I think Arcadia has a great program and it is really hard to turn down but I still think Temple is the best fit for me - though that decision is a real thoughie!

It is a shame you have to give them $500 just to find out. It seems to me I already paid all the application fees and I shouldn't have to pay to find out if there is a spot for me!

Has anyone else recently heard from Arcadia? Anyone else waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad.

I finally heard from Arcadia via email last night that if I submit a $500 deposit I can be put on a "short" waitlist. I think Arcadia has a great program and it is really hard to turn down but I still think Temple is the best fit for me - though that decision is a real thoughie!

It is a shame you have to give them $500 just to find out. It seems to me I already paid all the application fees and I shouldn't have to pay to find out if there is a spot for me!

Has anyone else recently heard from Arcadia? Anyone else waitlisted?
hey ajune,

congrats for that. thats impressive. not to discourage you, but while at jefferson this past weekend, i heard from multiple people that arcadias program tends to be ultra-competitive. not just in the admissions part, but actually throughout the curriculum. now this is just what i heard from other people, but they went on to say that students are exactly friendly with each other and its not a great team atmosphere.

obviously its a well recognized program, and worthwhile considering. i just wanted to relay what other students told me.

Wow. That's too bad. I can believe that though. I wonder how much that varies from class to class. I think the program is solid though. It is so impossible to know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. That's too bad. I can believe that though. I wonder how much that varies from class to class. I think the program is solid though. It is so impossible to know!
just out of curiosity....what stands out to you about arcadia? aside from the fact that its ranked #7 in us news and world report.

I was recently waitlisted too and I called Arcadia to find out just how "short" the waiting list was. (This whole process has made me very skeptical!) The lady told me there are less than 20 people on the waitling list so even if 30 people accept then you'll have a spot and I feel that most people at this point have probably already sent a deposit somewhere else so I think the chances are good! I obviously sent the deposit because I was told that if I didn't get a spot then the $500 would be refunded but I haven't gotten an acceptance anywhere else yet. In your situation I'd probably just stick with Temple though if you really think it's the best fit. The thing that draws me to Arcadia is the emphasis they place on community service learning because I feel like experience is the best way to learn and since they require that you volunteer at certain places you'd definitely be exposed to a lot of different experiences throughout the program.

I just called and pretty much got the same information as you. There are less than 20 people on the waitlist "at this time." They said that 55 people have already confirmed their spots and paid their deposits. I was told that there is no ranking information available and probably won't be made available to students. I also asked about last year's waitlist and the person I spoke with said that she had no personal information about last year's list and that the situation would be entirely dependent upon the lives of the students and their reasons for withdrawling.

All said and done it doesn't sound very promising but you never know! I guess it makes a big difference where you are on the list. I can't imagine that more than a handful of spots would open up! I can only stay on the list until mid-June and then I would need to withdrawl my application. I imagine that the most movement will probably take place in April or May when all schools finally communicate their decisions. We'll see! Good Luck thornhsn!:)

I was recently waitlisted too and I called Arcadia to find out just how "short" the waiting list was. (This whole process has made me very skeptical!) The lady told me there are less than 20 people on the waitling list so even if 30 people accept then you'll have a spot and I feel that most people at this point have probably already sent a deposit somewhere else so I think the chances are good! I obviously sent the deposit because I was told that if I didn't get a spot then the $500 would be refunded but I haven't gotten an acceptance anywhere else yet. In your situation I'd probably just stick with Temple though if you really think it's the best fit. The thing that draws me to Arcadia is the emphasis they place on community service learning because I feel like experience is the best way to learn and since they require that you volunteer at certain places you'd definitely be exposed to a lot of different experiences throughout the program.

I can only stay on the list until mid-June and then I would need to withdrawl my application.

If you get offered a seat at Arcadia, would you go there instead of Temple? Or are you set on Temple? :)

hey ajune,

congrats for that. thats impressive. not to discourage you, but while at jefferson this past weekend, i heard from multiple people that arcadias program tends to be ultra-competitive. not just in the admissions part, but actually throughout the curriculum. now this is just what i heard from other people, but they went on to say that students are exactly friendly with each other and its not a great team atmosphere.

obviously its a well recognized program, and worthwhile considering. i just wanted to relay what other students told me.

Competitive isn't the right word for the curriculum part, is it difficult yes, but pretty much everyone helps everyone else and due to the grading structure they try to take the competition out. The first week you're told the only important thing about grades is that you aren't failing (aka getting C's). Cliques form in any environment but with my class I would say over 60% of the class goes out together after every test (every 3 weeks) so I wouldn't say Arcadia students aren't friendly with each other and the classes ahead of you are also helpful so I don't know why Jefferson students would say Arcadia students are unfriendly.

I would put in the deposit if you haven't been accepted to a school you would rather go to, especially if you can get the money back.

hey ajune,

I went there along time ago, but I can't say that I found the environment unfriendly or overly competitive. And, I think the program prepared me quite well for clinical practice. My first job was at a large hospital where I worked along side four or five new graduates and my clinical skills held up favorably.

Back when I went to Arcadia we got together with Thomas Jefferson on two separate occasions for weekend seminars, so there is some contact between the two programs. If this still occurs, that may be where the students from Thomas Jefferson formed their opinion.