Arcom vs Uiwsom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pros and cons?

• Arcom

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Uiwsom

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

chxl2000

Reaction score
I need to make decision asap. Can anyone give me some advice on which school I should go to? TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Both schools are accredited and both schools are fairly new.
ARCOM is accredited "with heightened monitoring" but I don't know the reasons for that.
UIWSOM is fully accredited but their first few cohorts have had lower than average passing rates on their COMLEX. A new dean is focusing on improving that.

From the COCA list of school accreditation status: (current as of 2023)
UIWSOM
University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine
Brooks City Base
7615 Kennedy Hill
Building 1
San Antonio, TX 78235
(210) 283-6994
Robyn Phillips-Madson, DO, MPH
Dean and Chief Academic Officer Established 2017
Next Accreditation Visit: AY 2027 - 2028 Current Accreditation Status: Accreditation

ARCOM
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
7000 Chad Colley Blvd
Fort Smith, AR 72916
(479) 308-2243
Rance L. McClain, DO, FACOFP, FAOASM Dean
Established 2017
Next Accreditation Visit: AY 2024 - 2025 Current Accreditation Status: Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring

Fort Smith, Arkansas is a city of 90,000
San Antonio, Texas is a city of 1.4 million

The urban nature of San Antonio will have more amenities but also more traffic, higher rent rates. Speaking some Spanish is very helpful

Reactions: 1 users
$60k UIWSOM tuition v $45k ARCOM tuition. As a Texan and someone who prefers urban/large surburban areas, I'm biased towards UIWSOM. I'd say board scores are more on the individual student, while accreditation issues create uncertainty that you can't do much about as a student. While more expensive, I think UIWSOM is the better choice overall here.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
$60k UIWSOM tuition v $45k ARCOM tuition. As a Texan and someone who prefers urban/large surburban areas, I'm biased towards UIWSOM. I'd say board scores are more on the individual student, while accreditation issues create uncertainty that you can't do much about as a student. While more expensive, I think UIWSOM is the better choice overall here.
I would like to go back to my home state CA. Which school do you think will open more doors for me to do so?

I would like to go back to my home state CA. Which school do you think will open more doors for me to do so?
I've heard there is bias against DOs in CA. Both schools would have the same odds given they're in a completely different region. Up to you as a student to do aways and make connections and sell to residency programs your interest in returning back to CA. Specialty choice will make a difference as well, mid to high competitive specialties you're gonna have to take what you can get. Less competitive specialties you should have more control of your match location.

Reactions: 1 user
Would like to hear what you decided. Would appreciate others input regarding deciding between these two schools!