Are affiliate undergrad programs important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye lovethe eye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior in high school and I'm interested in optometry. Several optometry schools that I'm interested in have affiliations with undergrad universities. It seems like it's a good thing, but I'm wondering how beneficial it really is? I've gotten things from schools who offer pre-optometry, but they don't have any affiliations with any of the optometry schools. If anyone has any information, I'd appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can think of an optometry school as important only because it's affiliated with an undergrad university. A school that's affiliated with an undergrad university would be like UC Berkeley or SUNY Optometry. These schools may receive more funding for research since they're part of a larger state university system but I think that's the major difference between them and all the other optometry schools around the nation. Even the research funding part isn't too much of a distinguishing characteristic for those two schools since I know some private optometry schools also receive quite a bit of research funding from elsewhere.

I'm assuming what you're trying to ask in your post is whether you should go to an undergrad institution with an optometry program just for the fact that the school has an optometry program? If so, PLEASE don't pick where you want to spend 4 years of college at based on that! You should go somewhere that you feel you would fit in and enjoy. The optometry schools will not give you special considerations if you attended an undergrad university that has an optometry program. What's most important is for you to have a decent GPA, do well on the OAT, and still be well-rounded as an individual. Having experience in optometry clinics is also a big plus! So pick a college that you would like to spend 4 years of your life in, preferably one that also offers a good undergrad education in whichever major you're thinking of doing. Hope this helps!

Thanks, that does help a lot! I'm pretty sure I'd like to go to PCO because it is closest to my home, and right now I'm looking at all of its affiliated undergrad schools. I was wondering if it is more beneficial to go to a school with an affiliated program, or with a good biology program...or both? But it seems like you've answered my question! Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with mwyt15, you should find an undergrad school you like and really want to go to. I really don't think that going to an affiliated school is that important. What is important is how well you preform in your undergrad work. For me, I did my undergrad at Walsh University, its a tiny school that is not affiliated with anyone, and I don't think many people have ever heard of it, but I was able to get into Ohio State Optometry. I was worried like you because I know OSU has their own pre-opt students who want to go to the Optometry school there, and I figured that those students will have an upper hand on me. So you should find a place you like, and listen to what the above post says, and just work hard and you can get into any Optometry school you want.

Looks like I have some other schools to check out. I was just specifically looking at universities affiliated with PCO, but I did get information on universities with pre-optometry programs that weren't in affiliation with PCO. I guess I should be considering them too. Thanks a lot for the info, guys! I'm not sure if this site is mostly just for college students, but I've wanted to be an optometrist since I was in 6th grade so I'm doing plenty of research right now. Thanks a lot!