are all ESIR pathways created equal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With ESIR, all residents will have to apply for a 1-yr IR independent fellowship correct? Is there anything to look out for in an ESIR pathway (or are they the same from one residency program to another?)

Members don't see this ad.

With ESIR, all residents will have to apply for a 1-yr IR independent fellowship correct? Is there anything to look out for in an ESIR pathway (or are they the same from one residency program to another?)
There not even close to the same. Highly variable. Oh and by the way some programs will not except that year and will make you do 2 years.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Like who? Name please
The “famed” Miami Vascular will only take one via ESIR the rest will have to do 2 years. University of Illinois Peori will not take ESIR pathway have to do 2 year. Want more? Look it up yourself......

There is a great deal of variability currently existing in IR integrated residencies, there is even more variability in what an ESIR residency can offer. I would closely look at what the curriculum of the ESIR resident is (how many months of IR , how many months of clinical rotations/ ICU/ vascular surgery/ neuro interventional,) . How much outpatient clinic exposure you get and also how much autonomy you get and the scope and breadth of cases you will be participating in are.

Don't have a nuanced understanding of this but doesn't ESIR curriculum also include months on inpatient services like GI/Transplant/Vascular? Sometimes these are not offered in all hospitals. Wonder what happens then?

The only requirement for ESIR is a single rotation on ICU . That should be sorted out before you get accreditation as an ESIR site.

I would not recommend ranking DR programs higher regardless of how strong their ESIR is. That can turn into a big gamble if multiple ppl in your class want to do ESIR.

I would not recommend ranking DR programs higher regardless of how strong their ESIR is. That can turn into a big gamble if multiple ppl in your class want to do ESIR.

Yup, IR isn’t a huge fields and you never know who’s kid matched DR and wants to go ESIR.