Are cadavers exclusive to ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey everybody... I heard that only allopathic, osteopathic, and podiatry schools are the only schools that actually dissect cadavers is that true ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody... I heard that only allopathic, osteopathic, and podiatry schools are the only schools that actually dissect cadavers is that true ?
Not true. But since these are all medical schools majority of cadaveric dissections are carried out in these schools.

I remember reading a thread about an optometry student rambling about how he/she will not dissect cadavers. (he/she was disappointed) ROFL

Members don't see this ad :)
if its not true then who else dissects other than these schools?

Physical anthropologists dissect human cadavers in PhD programs (I would assume in MA programs as well). They also dissect various prosimians, old world and new world monkeys, lesser apes, and greater apes (comparative primate anatomy)! I wish I could do that on the side here at pod school!

If anthropologists do it, I can say with certainty that various biological science disciplines will dissect human cadavers as well...

Some dental students do. My cousin at Univ. of Oklahoma is doing it right now.

Chiropractic schools do too.

Temple Med gets 1/2 of a body and the PT students get the other 1/2. They dissect on alternate days.

When i was in grad school....i know that PA's did it..... pathologist Assistance students did it.... and anthropoloist students did it..

How about graduate schools like neuroscience, physiology ect...?
They do too, unless the biomedical graduate programs lack the resources and/or cannot afford a cadaver or one isn't required.

Temple Med gets 1/2 of a body and the PT students get the other 1/2. They dissect on alternate days.

Are you talkin Temple med/PT or Temple pod-med/PT? I am going to TUSPM in the fall and I am interested.

thanks.

We had dissected cadavers in my gross anatomy lab during undergrad. This was for an athletic training program.