Are combined residencies from USA accepted in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossled

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am Canadian attending school in the usa and I was interested in doing med/peds. Does anyone know if with this residency would I be able to practise in Canada? Also are these residencies accepting of Canadians ?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, Canadian specialty boards will only credit you partial years of training.

e.g. for Med-Peds which is 4 years total in the USA, they will credit you 2 years of internal medicine and 2 years of pediatrics. Given that both pediatrics and internal medicine are 4 years in Canada, you wouldn't be able to write your Royal College exams for either.

You can email the royal college of physicians and surgeons directly for further information.

Does anyone know how Canada might regard the ABIM research pathway? Research Pathway Policies and Requirements | ABIM.org

Also, if one were to do, say: 3 years IM + 2 years Heme/Onc, in the US, as a USMD grad, Canadian citizen, would they have to put in additional time? I was looking through this The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada :: Information By Discipline and it's difficult to navigate.

Edit, I found this: https://www.cma.ca/sites/default/files/2019-01/medical-oncology-e.pdf
So I'd need an IM certification before
But they seem to think a fellowship would qualify towards the certification.

Hm. I'm doing a dual degree, so it'll be a while before I need to hammer things out, but I just hope that I'll have the option of coming home eventually. :( I already feel a little homesick.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am Canadian attending school in the usa and I was interested in doing med/peds. Does anyone know if with this residency would I be able to practise in Canada? Also are these residencies accepting of Canadians ?
I know I'm late to the party, but I'm in a similar boat as you... did you ever get an answer to if you'd be able to practice in Canada with this residency? If you'd have to do an extra 2+ years? (ie if you then wanted to practice in either IM or Peds in Canada) Any other info?

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm in a similar boat as you... did you ever get an answer to if you'd be able to practice in Canada with this residency? If you'd have to do an extra 2+ years? (ie if you then wanted to practice in either IM or Peds in Canada) Any other info?
Yes, :( Canada doesn't accept combined programs. If you email the royal college of physicians and surgeons they can give you a better detailed answer.