are contact lens exams considered an eye exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scraders

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are contact lens exams considered eye exams?

i went with one of my friends to get a contact lens exam. however, the optometrist did not perform certain examinations (glaucoma, depth perception, color blindness) that i would expect from an eye exam.

does my friend need to go in again to get another examination?

Members don't see this ad.

it should be..i work at lens crafters and when someone get a contact lens exam, we do everything like a standard eye exam.. hmm maybe your friend got a contact lens check up... did he/she just get the auto refraction reading?

scraders said:

i went with one of my friends to get a contact lens exam. however, the optometrist did not perform certain examinations (glaucoma, depth perception, color blindness) that i would expect from an eye exam.

These tests should definately have been performed. Was there a reason given as to why they were not?

scraders said:

Dear scraders,

It depends.

1. If the doctor is seeing just for the contact lens and the patient only wanted the contact lens portion of the exam, then it is only that. The patient may have told the doctor that they had an exam previously or had brought in a prescription only.

2. In my present circumstance, I don't examine or fit contacts and will write out the spectacle prescription and give it to the patient. In these cases, the patient goes over to a doctor who does fit contacts and may only give the "contact lens" portion of the exam and fitting.

IMHO of course