Are Doctors You Know Satisfied With Their Job?

Started by l0rd
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

l0rd

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tell us about what doctors you know are saying their job, and tell us what field they practice!
Are they satisfied, overworked, unhappy, or what?
Try to be as thorough as you can. 👍
 
Tell us about what doctors you know are saying their job, and tell us what field they practice!
Are they satisfied, overworked, unhappy, or what?
Try to be as thorough as you can. 👍

Yes. My father is a vitreo-retinal surgeon in a busy private practice. He loves his job, he works 70-80 hours a week. There are 45-50 hours of patient encounters and 25-30 hours of charts and administrative work a week. He enjoys it and doesn't consider himself overworked although most people don't enjoy putting out as much effort. However, this is an atypical experience ophthalmology represents the creme de la creme of medical school and vitreo-retinal surgery is the most difficult ophthalmic fellowship.

A friend does IM, he hates his job, the pay is awful and the patients all have become experts after reading one article on webMD. He also hates how his patients don't take care of themselves, especially the Type II diabetics he has in his practice.
 
Just like with any profession....you have some that are happy and some that are not.....

just know what you want out of it and what to expect...

I think many have unrealistic expectations going in....it is what you make of it....and it really depends....on alot of factors...

I know many in each boat.....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I volunteer in a hospital, the cardiologists I know do not like their job. They complain that they don't get to practice medicine because of insurance companies.
 
I have talked to EM guys who love their job and I have talked to EM guys who hate it. Most of those that hate it hate the fact that 80% of their patients are non-emergent (sniffles, earaches, etc.). Those that love it understand that it is apart of the job and just deal with it.

I have talked to several hospitalists who love what they do.

Pretty much everyone I have talked to has said that the less you deal with medicaid/medicare/insurance, the better.

I think that is why optho, derm, and plastics typically are much happier.
 
I have talked to EM guys who love their job and I have talked to EM guys who hate it. Most of those that hate it hate the fact that 80% of their patients are non-emergent (sniffles, earaches, etc.). Those that love it understand that it is apart of the job and just deal with it.

I have talked to several hospitalists who love what they do.

Pretty much everyone I have talked to has said that the less you deal with medicaid/medicare/insurance, the better.

I think that is why optho, derm, and plastics typically are much happier.

Cataracts, ophthos bread and butter are ophthos are largely medicare unless we are talking premium IOLs and the the patient pays for the difference. Diabetic neuropathy and retinal damage, RDs, Glaucoma are all predominately medicare. Most ophthalmologists are doing this. Even corneal-refractives do a lot of teridgium grafts and corneal transplants in addition to LASIK and PRK. Derm does a lot of psoriasis, acne rosacea, Moh's, skin caner etc, all of which are private or medicare covered. Plastics depending on the surgeon may do facial fractures and reconstructive after mastectomies all of which insurance may cover. So I don't know where the idea of most derm and optho being cash and carry comes from. Plastics depends on the practitioner.