Are half white and half URM applicants considered URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brinedandgrilled

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know you can mark as many options as you want, but I'm wondering how your check marks are interpreted by admission committees. I'm half white and half black, so if I mark both (as opposed to just black), am I going to be considered URM by schools or not?
 
I know you can mark as many options as you want, but I'm wondering how your check marks are interpreted by admission committees. I'm half white and half black, so if I mark both (as opposed to just black), am I going to be considered URM by schools or not?

That's a good question...maybe ask your pre-med/dental advisor at your undergrad?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it depends how you identify yourself, whether you have a relationship or have done work with that side, and sadly how others identify you can be a big factor


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
One-drop rule, right? Stick it to the Man. lol jk

But seriously, it's like @Upstage said, it's more so about how you identify, the work that you've done, and how others perceive you...
 
One-drop rule, right? Stick it to the Man. lol jk

But seriously, it's like @Upstage said, it's more so about how you identify, the work that you've done, and how others perceive you...

Lol i think i know exactly who you are @teeayejay , you're the man.