Medical Are med school admission hopefuls allowed to do this if accepted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new and not certain if this is where I should ask for this kind of advice. I'm applying to both US and international MD schools, unfortunately, the international med schools begin matriculation in January and the US med schools I chose don't begin interviews until late December - January. The Decision date for these US med schools are in February. I don't want to gamble with my chances of getting into med school. I want to know if it is possible for a student who has recently begun international med school to accept and leave for an acceptance at a US med school. Or is that not allowed? Thank you for your help!
This may be school specific. But our state MD school has no problem poaching our DO students once they start classes.

If you are thinking of attending a Carib med school, this is a bad idea. Are you a US citizen?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey thanks for replying and yes I am a US citizen. I've heard about Carib med schools but I'm hoping that if I do attend one, that I'll get a few interviews and at least one acceptance to a US med school. At that point I'll leave the international school. I don't really have a competitive MCAT or GPA (did well on post-bacc) so was hoping for worse case scenario, going to Carib med school & transferring after 2 years. I've been doing research about what schools accept international transfers & their requirements. My uncle transferred from a Carib school (he wasn't a US citizen at the time) so I know it's possible.
Transfer between med schools are very rare. Transfers from Carib schools to US schools are nearly nonexistent.

Your uncle was an outlier, frankly.

Members don't see this ad :)
He's not the 1st person I've known to do this, so we'll see what happens. I've clawed out of depressing situations before and don't plan on procrastinating in med school. I'm not sure if these threads get deleted or closed but I'll let you all know how everything goes. Thank you for the help!
I know Lotto winners too, but the Lotto is a really bad way to plan for retirement.

Hey thanks for replying. I've heard how difficult it is to match as a Carib student, but realistically I don't have a competitive MCAT so plan B for now, if everything goes wrong, is to attend Carib for 2 years and transferring. I've been doing research about what schools accept international transfers & their requirements. My uncle transferred from a Carib school (he wasn't a US citizen at the time) so I know it's possible.

Transferring to a US medical school is extremely rare. It can only happen if a spot opens up, and that would mean a medical student would have to quit. US schools have extremely low attrition rates, and this rarely happens.

It is my strong suggestion that rather than go to a caribbean school, you retake your MCAT and delay applying to medical school. Get a job that will improve your application (or just any job), and do some volunteering.

It's not just that it's hard to match; it's that they actively work to kick people out in the first and second year because they matriculate more people than they have rotation spots for.

Just please don't go Caribbean. It's a colossal waste of your potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.