Are MY EC's good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
By the time I apply for medical school i'll have:
2 years worth of volunteering at an adult day care 4h a week ( I greet them, distribute food, feed a few, and make sure a few take their pills). I also work primarily with immigrants, so I work in a different language if it adds some ethos to my portfolio or something...
~1 year of working at a community food center 3h a week
~1year of working at a hospital 3h a week
~1 year of research ~6h a week ( Doubtful of Publishing)
Been an office in a club for a year ( been a part of the club for 2)
Shadowed 2 doctors, one gastroenterologist and one IM. Not DO's though.
Ta'd at least one course
Preformed around 2 times in a theater show in a different language for children.
and
A few other experiences like being a smart sacks member for like 3 months, tutoring 1 hour a week, being a provider for my grandparents for 3 years, etc.

So what do you think of my EC's? For DO or MD school?
Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
And here I thought you were already a medstudent! :laugh:

It looks like you have the whole package. Leadership, teaching, shadowing, hospital volunteering, community service, and some research as the cherry on top.

Just keep up what you're doing. If I had to pick a couple to emphasize in the last push before applying to medschool, maybe get some extra clinical volunteering in. And this may be just me... but if I was an adcom, I'd look highly on leadership experience as well, so you might want to get some more of that (not necessary though, since you already have a little).

But ya, looks good! :)

By the time I apply for medical school i'll have:
2 years worth of volunteering at an adult day care 4h a week ( I greet them, distribute food, feed a few, and make sure a few take their pills). I also work primarily with immigrants, so I work in a different language if it adds some ethos to my portfolio or something...
~1 year of working at a community food center 3h a week
~1year of working at a hospital 3h a week
~1 year of research ~6h a week ( Doubtful of Publishing)
Been an office in a club for a year ( been a part of the club for 2)
Shadowed 2 doctors, one gastroenterologist and one IM. Not DO's though.
Ta'd at least one course
Preformed around 2 times in a theater show in a different language for children.
and
A few other experiences like being a smart sacks member for like 3 months, tutoring 1 hour a week, being a provider for my grandparents for 3 years, etc.

So what do you think of my EC's? For DO or MD school?
Any recommendations?

You=gunner

Members don't see this ad :)
Just gonna say awesome Full Metal Alchemist avatar :laugh:

You=gunner

:laugh:

A gunner with enough comorobid anxiety disorders....
oh wait... that is a symptom of gunnerism haha... But yah, compared to some of the people on pre-allo, this looks completely unimpressive and kinda makes me feel like I might be pretty weak in the EC area.
Sigh... I need to beat into my head that SDN is not a good representation of the applicant population...

And here I thought you were already a medstudent! :laugh:

It looks like you have the whole package. Leadership, teaching, shadowing, hospital volunteering, community service, and some research as the cherry on top.

Just keep up what you're doing. If I had to pick a couple to emphasize in the last push before applying to medschool, maybe get some extra clinical volunteering in. And this may be just me... but if I was an adcom, I'd look highly on leadership experience as well, so you might want to get some more of that (not necessary though, since you already have a little).

But ya, looks good! :)

Hmm I'll see, my senior year may be pretty open for more EC'S or may take a way more time than I predict. Oh well...

:laugh:

A gunner with enough comorobid anxiety disorders....
oh wait... that is a symptom of gunnerism haha... But yah, compared to some of the people on pre-allo, this looks completely unimpressive and kinda makes me feel like I might be pretty weak in the EC area.
Sigh... I need to beat into my head that SDN is not a good representation of the applicant population...

haha I was completely kidding...but in all seriousness, judging by people ive met in my class, SDN does not in any way shape or form represent reality!

haha I was completely kidding...but in all seriousness, judging by people ive met in my class, SDN does not in any way shape or form represent reality!

Nah, it's ok. This post does seem a little gunnerish or fishing-ish, but yah I wouldn't be surprised, SDN perpetuates an ideal applicant with everything at it's max. I think people were in another thread ( with no statistics or source albeit) were saying that the average applicant to medical school has a little bit under 100 hours of ec's. As opposed to the average 2000 hours of an SDN member. :laugh:

I guess medical school applications probably does breed a little bit of inadequacy.... just like my organic chemistry tests x.x

When it asked for clinical experience hours I put something like 15,500 hours haha.

Just added up 5 years of full time work plus 3 years of pt in undergrad. The interviewer at my school lol'd when she read that. Me=gunner

When it asked for clinical experience hours I put something like 15,500 hours haha.

Just added up 5 years of full time work plus 3 years of pt in undergrad. The interviewer at my school lol'd when she read that. Me=gunner

That sure is a big number though... haha.. But yay for gunnerism!

I just did "a number crunch", and those hours = 646 days! :laugh:

Shadow a DO just so you can be covering your bases 100%!!!

Otherwise, get rdy to roll around in interview invites (print them out) and acceptance letters given your numbers are good.