Are my nutrition lectures outdated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Textbookversion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My nutrition lectures have the old canard of fat and sodium being the great satan.

I thought we'd move beyond that and the consensus now was that it is a myth with little evidence (except for the % of the population sensitive to sodium), and the best bet is less carbs, less calories, and more veggies?

Are my lectures just outdated or was my previous understanding erroneous?

Members don't see this ad.

My nutrition lectures have the old canard of fat and sodium being the great satan.

I thought we'd move beyond that and the consensus now was that it is a myth with little evidence (except for the % of the population sensitive to sodium), and the best bet is less carbs, less calories, and more veggies?

Are my lectures just outdated or was my previous understanding erroneous?

yes, why not just focus on the latest evidence based medicine? If you have access to MD consult, dynamed, pubmed clinical queries you should find the information you want that is up to date. Textbooks take years to print and by the time they circulate their information is antiquated. The time of being spoonfed old information in college is way behind you now. However, you should not eat too much fat, and if you do you should use oils high in polyunsaturated fats and low in saturated fats.

yes, why not just focus on the latest evidence based medicine? If you have access to MD consult, dynamed, pubmed clinical queries you should find the information you want that is up to date. Textbooks take years to print and by the time they circulate their information is antiquated. The time of being spoonfed old information in college is way behind you now. However, you should not eat too much fat, and if you do you should use oils high in polyunsaturated fats and low in saturated fats.

To be clear I'm kind of too busy to scour all potential journal articles on this. I'm not relying on textbooks I'm relying on a bevy of PhD's who I don't really want to go up to and say "so, are your lectures hogwash?"

To be clear I'm kind of too busy to scour all potential journal articles on this. I'm not relying on textbooks I'm relying on a bevy of PhD's who I don't really want to go up to and say "so, are your lectures hogwash?"

You are going to find that a fair amount of what you are taught in the preclinical years is out of date. Just learn it, get tested over it on step 1, and then forget about it.