Are new LORs required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

l8nightsvt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
When re-applying to MD schools, does anyone know if new letters of recommendation are required or are they just suggested. Although I plan to use new letters of recommendation to show what I've been up to, I want to know if I still need 2 additional science and 1 additional non-science letter, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

my friends who reapplied didn't get new letter of recommendations. although they did ask the recommender if they can re-use the letter (just in case if med school calls the recommender).

most of all my friends' recommender didn't mind having them use the same letter that they wrote for them for the previous application cycle (some were even nice to re-write it with new updates with a new date):thumbup:

im not sure if you need 2 science and 1 non-science letter of recommendation but most likely yes. and its better if you say that you got new letter of recommendations (with 2 science and 1 non-science).

wishing you good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got one new LOR, but kept the rest, and things have been working out so far. I think it is best to get at least one new LOR since a bunch of schools require them for reapplicants.

I re-used 3 out of 4 of my original letters (my school has a LOR service so I had them saved from before). The 4th one was updated after asking my research prof about it. I also got a 5th for my recent clinical work. I think it will help if you get at least 1 NEW and fresh one to show that you're keeping busy.

Things have been fine so far. Good luck