Are non-Special masters useless for GPA boosts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted942835

I have a great MCAT score (518), great undergrad school, great research (paper in Nature, not FP), great volunteering and experience (including a whole year scribbing), but a below average GPA (3.48). I applied during the 2019 entry cycle and did not get in. Part of it Im sure was due to late apps (like September late) but Im aware my GPA didnt help. I thought going into a Masters would help, so I began a Biostats MPH program to help boost my GPA which my former advisor said was a good idea. After the first semester I was able to bring my overall to a 3.52 and I still have a few semesters to go, so it should go up higher. Well, I got a new advisor that informed me that med school wont care that much about a Masters and that if I wanted to fix my GPA I should have dont a science heavy special masters or post-doc to also increase my BCPM.
I must admit that defeated me a little and now I feel like I'm wasting my time, and messed my chances a little for the next app cycle. Anyone have any insight on GPA fixing with non-special masters?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure others have more experience, but here is my two cents.

The whole point of your cGPA/sGPA is for the admissions committee to determine that you are academically capable of succeeding in medical school (along with some soft-qualities things like commitment, determination, etc. over 4-year span). By taking a masters that doesn't have the classes to prove this point you are more on the side of adding a good EC rather than showing improved academic capability. I still think getting A's in as many classes as you can helps, but I don't think the Biostats MPH will significantly assist with the academic profile of your application.

Hope this helps with perspective. It still looks like you are on the way to a great application. Best of luck!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure others have more experience, but here is my two cents.

The whole point of your cGPA/sGPA is for the admissions committee to determine that you are academically capable of succeeding in medical school (along with some soft-qualities things like commitment, determination, etc. over 4-year span). By taking a masters that doesn't have the classes to prove this point you are more on the side of adding a good EC rather than showing improved academic capability. I still think getting A's in as many classes as you can helps, but I don't think the Biostats MPH will significantly assist with the academic profile of your application.

Hope this helps with perspective. It still looks like you are on the way to a great application. Best of luck!

Thanks, thats what I figured :/ I'm just a little mad that my previous advisor didnt inform me of this while I still had a chance to just do a post-bacc instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add to @landy1130 who is two cents is worth gold.

AAMC survey of medical schools shows that a degree from a graduate or professional program is a factor of low importance in medical student selection (see lower left)

View attachment 289007
oh wow. Is this table for real? I really thought some of the stuff in that bottom row were important.

Last edited:
I have a great MCAT score (518), great undergrad school, great research (paper in Nature, not FP), great volunteering and experience (including a whole year scribbing), but a below average GPA (3.48). I applied during the 2019 entry cycle and did not get in. Part of it Im sure was due to late apps (like September late) but Im aware my GPA didnt help. I thought going into a Masters would help, so I began a Biostats MPH program to help boost my GPA which my former advisor said was a good idea. After the first semester I was able to bring my overall to a 3.52 and I still have a few semesters to go, so it should go up higher. Well, I got a new advisor that informed me that med school wont care that much about a Masters and that if I wanted to fix my GPA I should have dont a science heavy special masters or post-doc to also increase my BCPM.
I must admit that defeated me a little and now I feel like I'm wasting my time, and messed my chances a little for the next app cycle. Anyone have any insight on GPA fixing with non-special masters?
Won't help for MD; will count for DO.

With a 3.48 GPA, there are still a number of MD schools for whom you're competitive for, especially if you had a significant rising GPA trend.

Invest in MSAR Online and target schools where your GPAs are > their 10th %iles for acceptees. Chances will be best with your state schools.

While it's probably not going to bring the same value as an SMP or post-bac in terms of attesting to your academic abilities, I don't think you messed up your chances for the next app cycle at all. Considering how well rounded your application is, if you apply earlier, you'll probably see some success.

Also, note that your grades from your MPH will not be added to your cumulative, as they are graduate level courses. Your cGPA will still be a 3.48 and your grades from your MPH will show up as a separate value.

Reactions: 1 users