Are optometry schools closing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan_eyeball

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far we have been open for business with strict cleaning guidelines between patients. We've slowed to 2 patients per hour and asked any non essential family members stay out of our office.

A lot of our local and state wide universities are closing in person classes for the rest of the spring semester. Any news on Optometry schools staying open for in person classes/labs?

Members don't see this ad.

At MCPHS campus is closed. We are starting online lectures next week through the end of the semester. Some labs have to wait to be completed until we return to campus, which will probably be next semester.

Reactions: 1 user
I figured Optometry schools were going to go all online except lab/clinicals. We are open but for only emergency/urgent appointments. We've grinded to a halt. At least I can view it as a time to be with my kids more and catch up on journals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Berkeley has converted to all online. Students have been released from clinics and rotations. Open only for emergencies with minimal staff.

I heard that a few 4th-year externships were canceled outright. This is really rough for those students that felt they needed additional clinical experience prior to entering the workforce. They'll be ok but it's certainly not ideal.

Reactions: 1 user