Are Pharmacists ALLOWED to read X-rays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Truthspeaker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are pharmacists trained to read X-rays or would this be considered inappropriate? I mean, if the patient X-ray shows pneumonia I can see a pharmacist double checking we did not misdiagnose the patient before they dose the antibiotics. Misdiagnosis happen ALL the time in medicine, no question. Is reading an X-ray something pharmacists can do and are trained in?

Members don't see this ad.

No, at least I was never trained on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely zero training in reading x-rays... not sure how a pharmacist would be comfortable making any sort of medical diagnosis/assumptions from seeing one.

I remember sitting with a family medicine resident team during a rotation (8-10 md/do residents, just me the lonely pharmd) and they would always bring up xrays to look at...I had no idea what I was looking at 99.9% of the time. I appreciate that they taught me a little about reading them, but I would never try to double check a physician on reading an xray.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are pharmacists trained to read X-rays or would this be considered inappropriate? I mean, if the patient X-ray shows pneumonia I can see a pharmacist double checking we did not misdiagnose the patient before they dose the antibiotics. Misdiagnosis happen ALL the time in medicine, no question. Is reading an X-ray something pharmacists can do and are trained in?

I wouldn't dare. Stick to the script. Ensure prescribers' orders are safe and clinically appropriate. Do not waste time looking at X-rays. If they diagnose pneumonia, well, pneumonia it is.

Reactions: 1 users
We had to learn to read EKGs in one of my modules. Talk about an utter waste of time. As if I am ever going to question EKG results. :eyeroll:

So my answer is no, pharmacists shouldn't be allowed to read X-rays. That's nuts.

Reactions: 5 users
After working closely with medical teams, I am able to see a few things on imaging. Although, my theory is that if I can see a problem looking at imaging, the patient is in really bad shape.

It's useful for anticipating questions and recommendations. For example, a pronounced mid-line shift on a CT head is pretty easy to see after a few times. If I see that, I can anticipate that we may move the discussion on rounds towards withdrawal of care, reducing sedation to do a last neuro assessment, etc. However, I will never say anything before a physician makes an interpretation. If I think there's a problem based on imaging, I usually hit up the resident and ask them if they were able to interpret today's results yet and if there was anything significant. Sometimes I'm able to mention the radiologist's interpretation, but I find they are usually un-usefully vague: "infiltrates that may be pneumonia vs. fluid overload vs. atelectasis vs. [insert 5 other differentials here].

We had to learn to read EKGs in one of my modules. Talk about an utter waste of time. As if I am ever going to question EKG results. :eyeroll:

I would never question an interpretation of a EKG after it's made, but there have been times where knowing basic rhythm is helpful. In a code blue, it's useful to be ready to change the drugs you're using based on rhythm. If I can see that the rhythm changed from PEA to VT, I can prepare to draw up some amio.

Bottom line, I don't think it hurts to know a little bit outside our scope. We can predict and mentally prepare, but don't act until you have that diagnosis and don't question if the diagnosis is not what you are expecting.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, but call with the floor's nurse so she can confirm your findings before calling the doc.

We were shown a few in school and I looked many during rounds during my last year. I still have no idea what I'm looking at to any medically useful degree. Mostly I can tell you whether or not the patient has bones. Same with EKGs, I can tell you if the patient is alive or dead, probably.

Even if they were trained to do it, I would still say it's inappropriate for a pharmacist to read an xray.

Reactions: 3 users
Pharmacists are not trained to read x-rays, nor would their liability insurance cover their reading x-rays (even if they had self-taught themselves.) So no, pharmacists should never be officially reading x-rays.

Reactions: 1 users
When I was a P4 a resident asked if I agreed with her interpretation of an x-ray. She was cute so I said yes. That's my x-ray story.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick! Someone start a PGY2 residency on X-ray reading.

How much will you pay me? (Bored radiologist.)

No we are not trained.

As a pharmacist, I can think of at least 3 other things I would use to assess if antibiotics are appropriate for pneumonia before wanting to "read" the chest x-ray.

And those 3 things are?

If you're talking initial dosing:
1. Medical History (Nos vs Comm, colonizations, etc)
2. Local Antibiogram
3. SCr

I'm sure other RPh like to spend an hour thinking of every detail (you know those guys that hardly touch the order queue and like to think outloud) but I'm a quick and dirty kind of guy...never enjoyed the antibiotic stewardship shifts myself.

The real question is:

Can a pharmacist transfer an Xray?

Reactions: 6 users
No this is why we need provider status. Contact your representative.

Allowed to read them? Sure. Who is stopping anyone from learning to read xrays and then reading them to their heart's content? You don't have to be a physician to use your eyes and brain to examine an xray and develop an opinion based upon the data you collect from it. Radiopedia awaits your viewing pleasure.

Allowed to countermand a physician's order based for a patient upon their independent read? No. That is practicing medicine without a license. At the very least, it would be accepting an enormous liability with inadequate educational preparation and without a leg to stand on when the patient becomes septic, dies, and the estate sues the pharmacist for all they are worth.

Stay in your lanes, everyone, and we all get where we are going much more safely. I won't pretend to know the interactions of every medication I might want to order, and you don't need to provide second opinions without possessing the qualifications to do so.

I've seen enough that I can tell if there is an infiltrate or something bad in there.. Most it is "that shouldn't be there or that doesn't look right." I don't infer any diagnosis and read the radiologist interpretation. If the radiologist says the chest is clear, I will question why you need those abx for PNA.