Are podiatrists really doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, that what was pretty extensive. You have to be careful to compare curriculums between two schools and assume that applies across the board. It might be possible at DMU, but I know curriculums can vary quite a bit in podiatry schools. Are the classes at DMU taught by the same professors with the same tests and credit hours? You can not tell by the names in a curricum, the actual difficulty or depth of any course. If everything is similar, why are the pod boards a quiz compared to the USMLE?

In your opinion guys, do you think the pod students have the training to take and do well on the USMLE. Damn its HOT today in NYC!

Members don't see this ad.

I am really not sure how we would do on the USMLE. I don't think it is a difference in the basic education either. I think I alluded to it earlier, but there is another difference in our focus. The first half of our second year we went through the systems courses. The second half was essentially only podiatry. Nobody mentioned boards until about 2 months ago. There was no real "board review" course offered. (Instead of going on about it here, I'll start a new thread on this. Might have some others with input.)

The differnce with the DOs was noticable. Almost from the beginning of their second year, there was some sort of board review going on. Weekend stuff being offered, etc. Quite a bit of the classes are focused on "Board material". "This is the kind of stuff that you might see on the boards."

Almost as though they were teaching towards the test. We lacked this strong emphasis on USMLE/COMLEX. Might have some affect on how well we do on that test.

Makes me wonder what was done before large standardized tests. I suppose you cannot be a quality physician without passing one. :D
Wonder what sort of test Osler had to pass? (Or Still?)

You would think the suffering would be enough with the MCAT and all the other torturous test students have to take. For instance the anatomy lab practical. Oh, I hated the time limit on each station. Drove me nuts, the brachial plexus, cranial nerves UGH!!

At DMU they offered no form of board review at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
For NBPME - not really. Some of the students set up "review" sessions with many of hte profs, but these ewre not well attended. I doubt they would have helped much. (I didn't go to any of them.) The way the test is set up it can really cover everything we studied, and there is no way to adequately "prep" for the test. You either know the material or you don't.

Gross Anatomy practicals were relatively easy. Identify this bone and be specific(may be a left or right 2nd 3rd 4th metatarsal, etc.) What nerve serves the muscle that attaches at this point. Etc. You get the idea. I'm not really sure how any of that (or even the stuff we had in Gross) is supposed to relate to what we will do in practice, but I am pretty sure I have a better understanding of lower limb anatomy than most MD/DO students.

We've each had a different experience (though similar), but they should all serve us well in our different endeavors. :)

I think with a review course and some additonal courses such as psch and the others not covered in podiatry school I think alot of pod students could pass the usmle of course our scores would not be as high as other students, but I think it can be done because we have the bulk concepts. Although I think it would take a heck of alot of studying. I dont think I could pass any basic science test right now though as soon as I finished my exam I think I lost about 75% of the knowledge I had before I press the submit button.

It is unfortunate that DPMs do not get respect like they should. One of the four physicians that I am lucky enough to have as role models is a podiatrist. It is funny to me when family docs espouse that they know how to treat podiatric problems (be they traumatic, diabetic or whatever). After having spent some extracurricular time with the aforementioned podiatrist while on my family rotation last year, it became quite clear to me that allo and osteopathic physicians just don't have the training to comprehensively treat diseases of the foot. Period. Orthopods may do an excellent job of fixing orthopedic probs, but you will find few foot and ankle orthopods who are also as excellent at diabetic wound management.

Podiatrists train from day one to specialize in foot & ankle pathology. They do it the best in my opinion. When I am in practice i hope that i will have a good podiatrist near by that I can refer patients to.

Thanks for the comments.

:)

here is an idiotic question.. why don't we have arm doctors but we have foot doctors?

There are many more foot problems than there are arm problems. A key thing to consider is independence. Without feet, or the ability to walk, you will likely be dependent on someone else for many daily activities.

There are orthopedic surgeons who specialize in the hand.

Hey efs! Don't give this guy the time of day. Did you ever find out anymore information on the history of chiropdy?

I realize he said it was an idiotic question - so it must be from an ???? :D
However I feel that the best response is to react cordially. I think it is fairly clear to anyone who would read it. I don't see much point it telling people what kinds of *****s they are. (Once in a while someone really needs it though.)

I have done quite a bit of reading. Just need a bit more prodding to put something online. I've been busy lately with about 6-8 different projects going. I'll see if I can't get something out there this weekend.

:p