Are PTs able to implement nutrition into sessions?

Started by Aero SSX
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Aero SSX

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I've been tossing around health careers for what seems like forever. I know physical therapists make pretty good pay, but I have heard that perhaps they cannot really discuss nutrition too deeply.

I'm wondering because I want to implement both nutrition and exercise with some good depth. Personal trainers seem to be able to talk a bit about nutrition, though obviously they don't make as much.

Just wondering your thoughts. I'm interested in holistic health.
 
In Texas at least, PTs can advise with nutrition. Personal trainers don't make as much because they don't have the level of education or clinical expertise that a PT does. And PTs tend to deal with rehabilitation, but are definitely within their scope (at least in Texas) to be involved in health promotion and wellness, which includes nutritional advice, as long as it is within the PT's capabilities. However, care needs to be taken to not confuse nutritionist and dietitian. If it comes to where the the nutritional advice requires a specialist, the individual should be referred to a Registered Dietitian. This would include individuals with GI disorders, metabolic disorders, issues related to gerontological medicine, etc.
 
I speak for myself only. I first tell my patients that dietary counseling is out of my scope of practice. However I will make comments regarding how calcium and other nutrients are used in the body. Dietary counseling can be risky for a PT in the long-run because not all pertinent medical history is typically revealed. Someone may have osteoporosis and your initial reaction is to say "eat calcium-rich foods." However, this may not be wise advice without a good medical history (as in the history the physician has). Keep in mind that patients leave things out they don't feel are necessary for a PT to know.

Of course you could become a registered dietitian in addition to a PT.

_______________________
Licensed Physical Therapist