Are R1 Spots in the Match common?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeADoc0000

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
doing a prelim year in surgery and am interested in applying to DR... want to go into IR from DR. Is there a way to find out programs that have R1 spots open for the following year? I know programs interview for R1 programs for the following year (aka if i was to match one of those programs, I'd have to take a year off and do something during it).. but i want to know if there's a way to find programs with spots available starting July 1 2019 so that i can begin my DR residency without taking a year off.

Any advice helps!! hope my explanation wasn't too confusing.

Members don't see this ad.

doing a prelim year in surgery and am interested in applying to DR... want to go into IR from DR. Is there a way to find out programs that have R1 spots open for the following year? I know programs interview for R1 programs for the following year (aka if i was to match one of those programs, I'd have to take a year off and do something during it).. but i want to know if there's a way to find programs with spots available starting July 1 2019 so that i can begin my DR residency without taking a year off.

Any advice helps!! hope my explanation wasn't too confusing.

This past year, there were 30 R positions in the Match for DR and 3 for IR. http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Main-Match-Result-and-Data-2018.pdf

You can see which programs have available positions for 2019 now in ERAS. To register, you need to get a token from your designated institutional official or dean's office.