Are Radiation Oncologists Happy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jason O

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you characterize radiation oncologists as happy? What kind of impression do you get when you talk to radonc residents, attendings, researchers, and clinicians? Are radoncs generally happier than other doctors? Is there a lot of malpractice in the field?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The attendings I have met seem very happy and postitive. They say things like "I have the best job in the world". The only complaint I have heard is that it can be emotionally draining.

jane said:
The attendings I have met seem very happy and postitive. They say things like "I have the best job in the world". The only complaint I have heard is that it can be emotionally draining.
Im very happy. I found being on the wards more draining; youre there when patient's die. In radonc it in part depends on the fields you practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jason O said:
Would you characterize radiation oncologists as happy? What kind of impression do you get when you talk to radonc residents, attendings, researchers, and clinicians? Are radoncs generally happier than other doctors?

In my experience rad onc docs are a very happy group. That said, many doctors in other fields are happy too. That's especially true for those in the highly specialized, "lifestyle" fields. Some of the distinguishing characteristics of rad onc docs are that they take care of very ill patients, are able to cure (or help cure) a significant fraction of them while improving the quality of life of the remainder, get compensated well, and yet still have a job that resembles a 40 (instead of 80) hour work week. That adds up for an extremely rewarding career with time for other things like family, hobbies, travel, and research. Also, rad onc docs deal with fascinating diseases encompassing basically every organ system, have a special doctor-patient relationship due to the serious nature of cancer diagnoses, work with exciting and ever changing technologies, and are an integral part of the interdisciplinary oncology team. All that (and more, of course) makes rad onc the ideal field for many of us that choose it.

thanks for your feedback!

of course they are happy. who wouldnt be making 250K+ working 50hr weeks while helping people?

scootad. said:
of course they are happy. who wouldnt be making 250K+ working 50hr weeks while helping people?
i seriously get the feeling that angela "i work in the third world" jolie isn't a happy person.