Are SGU/Caribbean schools right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fingerscrossedd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I'm applying to medical schools this year, all US ones (I'm from the US, and I go to a very well respected college). Like most med applicants, I'm nervous about my chances, and thought, hey--I might as well look into the Caribbean right?
I want to practice in the US, and I want to be a surgeon. Those are my goals; I want to work at a great hospital, etc...be a normal US doctor. I know this is possible, but how likely is this for a Car. Med school grad? How often does this happen?

Thanks
 
Hi!

I'm applying to medical schools this year, all US ones (I'm from the US, and I go to a very well respected college). Like most med applicants, I'm nervous about my chances, and thought, hey--I might as well look into the Caribbean right?
I want to practice in the US, and I want to be a surgeon. Those are my goals; I want to work at a great hospital, etc...be a normal US doctor. I know this is possible, but how likely is this for a Car. Med school grad? How often does this happen?

Thanks

First off, how do you know you want surgery when you aren't even in medical school?!

Sorry to be the one to kill your dreams. But as an IMG (Specially from the carib) you will have a very slim chance matching, let alone matching into surgery. Very few match into surgery, and they are mostly prelim positions.
I don't know why you would want to risk not matching at all by applying to a very competitive residency...
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I disagree there are people that match into categorical surgery residencies from SGU, ROSS, AUC and SABA every year. look at those school's websites to see where they match some people end up at university programs, most end up in community programs, but you'll still get good training at community programs.

General surgery is tough but definitely doable. It's not like you want to be an ENT, urologist, Orthopod, or Neurosurgeon.
 
First off, how do you know you want surgery when you aren't even in medical school?!

Sorry to be the one to kill your dreams. But as an IMG (Specially from the carib) you will have a very slim chance matching, let alone matching into surgery. Very few match into surgery, and they are mostly prelim positions.
I don't know why you would want to risk not matching at all by applying to a very competitive residency...


While it may be a little "early" to be considering residency placement, it's actually good to know what you're aiming for. Most schools will say that it's better to know beforehand and know how hard you must work to get into those competitive residencies than to find out later (i.e. during match!). If you're at the top of your game and you're the best among the best, you'll come out on top.