are shadowing hours necessary?

Started by aosos1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aosos1

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am currently a sophomore and I was wondering if shadowing hours are necessary. I have only shadowed 2 doctors & they only allowed me to shadow for 1 day each and I worked at an optometrists office as a receptionist for about 2 months & I learned a lot about vision insurance.
 
Shadowing hours can be necessary or optional, just depends on the school. It would be in your best interest to shadow a handful of doctors so you have that experience on your applications.
 
Shadowing at a variety of places really helped my competitiveness as an applicant. (private practice, combined optometrist/ophthalmologist practice, commercial practice etc). At a lot of my interviews I was asked what I learned from my shadowing experiences so in my opinion the more the better!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Shadow for you, there is a lot you can learn before deciding to dedicate your professional life to a particular profession.
 
Not necessary, but how else will you demonstrate that you are familiar with optometry and everything the career may entail?