Are some applications skipped entirely, based on numbers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aiicha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this sort seems a given, but I wanted to see what others peoples opinions were. Do you think some school don't even read essay's if the numbers don't match? Like lower GPA's or MCAT's? or Do you think, more often, they at least read the essay's to give the benefit of the doubt. I know how many they get and I'm just wondering what you guys think the screening process is like?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this sort seems a given, but I wanted to see what others peoples opinions were. Do you think some school don't even read essay's if the numbers don't match? Like lower GPA's or MCAT's? or Do you think, more often, they at least read the essay's to give the benefit of the doubt. I know how many they get and I'm just wondering what you guys think the screening process is like?

yes. There are cutoffs. If you fall below a certain calculation, then your app will go straight into the trash without a second glance.

They don't have time to read all ten thousand apps they get each year just to look for good essays of people with numbers that won't make the cut.

I'm actually wondering about the screening process too, especially for the UC's. Some people get secondary invites within minutes of their primary being received. Then I see other people who get it a few days later and others who get it a month or even months later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually wondering about the screening process too, especially for the UC's. Some people get secondary invites within minutes of their primary being received. Then I see other people who get it a few days later and others who get it a month or even months later.

Some schools send secondaries to everyone. Some send secondaries to only people who hit certain numbers. Some send secondaries to top numbers and slowly release to lower tier applicants.

Somebody correct me If I'm wrong, but the conventional wisdom I always heard is that GPA+MCAT are the large determinants of whether or not you get an interview at a school, and it's only post interview that the "intangibles" such as the interview, essays, experiences are considered. So to answer your original question, it seems that a low GPA/MCAT can hold you back regardless of other facets of your application. Yeah its a dumb system but unlike undergrad I think people in the world of medical education are really into "the numbers."
-Roy

Somebody correct me If I'm wrong, but the conventional wisdom I always heard is that GPA+MCAT are the large determinants of whether or not you get an interview at a school, and it's only post interview that the "intangibles" such as the interview, essays, experiences are considered. So to answer your original question, it seems that a low GPA/MCAT can hold you back regardless of other facets of your application. Yeah its a dumb system but unlike undergrad I think people in the world of medical education are really into "the numbers."
-Roy

That can't be your REAL name...

*EDIT*

Nvm...

good book though

-Roy

Generally you're right, but to some extent it depends on the school. 2 top schools that I spoke with specifically said that they're staffed enough at the admin office to have a lower "cutoff", and that they review almost all applications thoroughly. But even at these schools, turn in an app with a 7 on an MCAT section, and forget it. Presumably also a GPA below some # would also kill an application.

The busier schools, or those staffed lighter, tend to have higher cutoffs or more stringent requirements for consideration, probably so that they can weed out more applications quickly and still feel that they are reviewing the "best" applicants carefully.