Are some optometry schools harder than others?

Started by HM-boss
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HM-boss

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know optometry school is challenging no matter where you attend but do you know if some schools are harder or have a more rigorous curriculum than others?
 
Just my opinion, but I believe there are. I often reference NBEO scores as an objective measurement for how students are prepared to take their licensing examinations. Part of the NBEO reflects the types of students that were accepted for such an institution (ie: weaker students = lower first-time pass scores), but it could very well be that institutions with weaker curricula never cover the comprehensive techniques, concepts, or pathophysiology that other schools do.

Although this is a multi-faceted question in regards to test-taking techniques of students, standardized tests themselves, quality of curricula, quality of teaching faculty, and quality of students, one really has to draw those conclusions in a more comprehensive analysis.

For what it's worth, I hope that helps!
 
Agreed that most definitely some programs are going to be harder than others.
Few people experience more than one school however, so it's hard to say how they would all rank when compared against each other.

I would assume that schools with more competitive stats will have more rigorous programs, but at a certain level they are probably similar.
 
In terms of academics, the "harder" schools probably prepare you better for boards and the profession.