Are test 1ml vials multi dose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I rec'd an RX for 10mL of testosterone

says 0.5cc Im once weekly

Are the 1ml vials multidose or not? Not sure if I should dispense 2ml or 4 ml

Members don't see this ad.

They are not considered multidose according to Perrigo. The 10ml bottle is, but it only has a beyond use date of 28 days after first puncture according to Perrigo.
I haven't contacted any other manufacturers to see if their answers vary.

Oddly enough when I read the insert both had the same preservative.

Reactions: 1 user
I also have a pt on 0.7 ml every two weeks, I was going to disp. 2 x 1ml vials for 28 days, but my partner changed to 1ml for 20 days supply... I also called perrigo, the BUD is 28 days after first puncture.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perrigo vials say "sterile vial" but the Sun ones say "single use." However both 1 ml and 10 ml Perrigo vials have the same absolute amount of preservative so you could make the argument that the 1 mL Perrigo could be treated as multi-use.

I’m surprised no phrma company has come out with like a testosterone pre-filled pen like insulin so they could profit off all the confusion people have regarding dispensing and stability.

I also have a pt on 0.7 ml every two weeks, I was going to disp. 2 x 1ml vials for 28 days, but my partner changed to 1ml for 20 days supply... I also called perrigo, the BUD is 28 days after first puncture.

That seems unnecessarily conservative. I would have done the same as you - 2 x 1ml for 28 days. Those vials are not overfilled much at all, and it would be fairly difficult for the patient to get the remaining .3ml out for their next dose.

I’m surprised no phrma company has come out with like a testosterone pre-filled pen like insulin so they could profit off all the confusion people have regarding dispensing and stability.

There was one company that recently tried to get fda approval for a testosterone autoinjector. FDA denied it. Ever since testosterone got a really bad rep in recent years its been a lot harder for pharma to get new formulations of it approved by FDA.

You’d need to use tuberculin needles and confuse everyone.