Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Are the NBME practice items useful?

Discussion in 'Step II' started by Fermi, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Fermi

Fermi Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

I'm talking about the free, 3-block practice exam provided by the NBME for Step 2 CK, not the paid self-assessments. I'm doing USMLEWorld and getting about a 60% average, so I'm petrified at the prospect of taking the exam this week. But yesterday I did the 3 NBME practice blocks and averaged 90%. Now I don't know what to think!

Can anyone who did the NBME practice exam compare it to the real thing and/or to the paid Self-Assessments in terms of difficulty?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. inositide

inositide Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

for the vast majority of people, the nbme paid self assessments are extremely accurate in estimating a person's score on the actual exam. if you are that worried, consider taking one of the paid self assessments. some people say that self assessment 2 is a bit harder so perhaps you should consider taking 1 or 3. however, that is anecdotal.

4. MISTERshortcoat

7+ Year Member

Hello Fermi,

I'd consider the free 150 questions to be easier than most questions on the real test. USMLEWorld (I would say) is a good bit harder than the real thing, while the paid assessment questions are fairly similar to the actual test. I paid $135 for all 3 NBME assessments, and I don't regret it at all.

Good luck.

5. Anath

Anath Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Really? I thought the self assessment 1 was the hardest one out of the 3. I did it last, and got a lot lower than what I got on 2 and 3. But I guess everything is different for everyone. THought 3 was the easiest -- part of me felt like they put #3 together quickly to make an extra $45.

I will say that they were VERY dead on for the real test for step I. Praying they're right on for step II.

6. robotsonic

robotsonic Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I only took NBME assessment #1, so I can't compare to the others, but I have a feeling like there is no way it is going to be an accurate predictor. It gave me a 770 (266), but the whole thing seemed really familiar after I had done the usmleworld questions. I took the real exam last week, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get anywhere near a 266. But anyway, I guess we will see.

Another thing is that NBME charges you $45 for each of these. Does anyone else think that is completely ridiculous? For that much I should at least get the answers.

EDIT: My NBME assessment score was actually pretty close; I ended up with 263 (much better than I thought I had done immediately after the test).

7. Anath

Anath Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

darn skippy! Its not like they would lose out by providing answers. it would only be to the detriment of the test taker, not nbme. Down with the system! :mad: :)

8. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

Took the first test yesterday, before I started really studying, and got a 710 (258). I thought it was fairly straight-forward. The questions were truly outstanding and very well-written.

I'll do the last 2 exams over the next month and will keep you posted.